FreeView to Freesat?

station

I'm wanting to go from from freeview to freesat tv.

Am I right in thinking that I can just swap the aerial for a dish, and the connector at the tv end to an 'F' type connector but still use the existing (in the wall) cable. The cable is only 12 months old by the way if that makes any difference.

Any help appreciated.

ATB.

In theory yes you can but aerial coax is lower quality than satellite coax (and cheaper) Sat coax is Foam filled copper over copper aerial is airspace and can vary from copper over copper to alu over copper or alu over cca which is nasty cheapo stuff.

Of course you need to align the dish If you only have one TV/STB and the feed is direct from roof (south facing) to box/TV then should be ok if aerial feeds multipe TV's then its different wiring design required

http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/abc_guide_to_choosing_coax

Edited by HDAV

I changed from freeview using an aerial to a sat dish I was happy with the aerial and only changed over as in my area we needed to have the aerial so high and in bad weather it rattled and worried me that it could fall down I did gain a few extra channels and it cost me a load of money for a dish and a new box with hard drive to record which I already had with the aerial setup was it worth it in the end I would say no the aerial box worked smoother and faster if your aerial is ok I would keep it also when we have very heavy rain and hail stones I loose the signal something that never happend with the aerial setup.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

You don't get the same channels as with Freeview. It's a poorer selection in my view.

I'm wanting to go from from freeview to freesat tv.
Am I right in thinking that I can just swap the aerial for a dish, and the connector at the tv end to an 'F' type connector but still use the existing (in the wall) cable. The cable is only 12 months old by the way if that makes any difference.

Any help appreciated.
ATB.

In theory yes you can but aerial coax is lower quality than satellite coax (and cheaper) Sat coax is Foam filled copper over copper aerial is airspace and can vary from copper over copper to alu over copper or alu over cca which is nasty cheapo stuff.

Of course you need to align the dish If you only have one TV/STB and the feed is direct from roof (south facing) to box/TV then should be ok if aerial feeds multipe TV's then its different wiring design required

http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/abc_guide_to_choosing_coax

I thought this might be the case and the linked article makes sense.

Many thanks for the help.

You don't get the same channels as with Freeview. It's a poorer selection in my view.

I did not realise this so will check what's available.

cheers.