Isle of Wight driven and rough shooting with old farrier

Ireland71

Well guys after meeting old farrier o/f (Nigel) at the pw charity shoot,and we kepth in contact since,Nigel invited me down to the Isle of Wight for two days shooting one day driven and one day rough shooting,so took some time of work and headed of Thursday to catch 5 o'clock ferry from Portsmouth luckily enough I got there just before 4pm so jumped on that one 45 minutes arrived at fishbourne and was met with a warm smile and a friendly hand shake,so after a quick chat I followed Nigel to my b&b,20 minutes later we arrived at the Wight mouse inn,so all booke in a quick freshen up and met Nigel at 7.30 for dinner and to chat about Friday's shooting over a few pints,we where still chatting gone 12am we could have chatted all night but we had a 8am start Friday morning,so Friday morning 8am came and we set of,and I tell you I did not expect a private tour of the island from Nigel,I have to say it was fantastic what Nigel don't know about the Isle of Wight is not worth knowing,thanks Nigel my daughter was well impressed how much I told her about the island,of course I did say it was all thanks to you :) so tour over we headed back towards the fram where Nigel introduced me to everyone from beaters to picker uppers to game keeper to land owner and was made felt very welcome by everyone,so after coffee tea and meeting everyone the shoot brief begun,after a few minutes we drew our pegs I got 10 which was a back gun Nigel got 5 which was in the money seat :) after a few minutes we set of to drive one,so as a bit of fun Nigel and me had a friendly bet of £5 the bet was I said I would hit my first bird in my second shot and Nigel said it would take me six shots so a quick discussion with Steve the land owner to tell him what we had done he said he would stand beside me to give Nigel conformation of the bet,I tell you the pressure was on,everyone one on ther pegs whistle went and we were live and good to go first flurry of birds came I let them pass by as I kenw I had to get a nice shot to win the bet,the 3 birds came at about 40 yards high so one picked out gun mounted bang bang bird fell to the ground,with one big smile Steve and me both looked at each other and with a hand shake and well done Steve headed of to tell Nigel he had lost his bet,luckily enough I could see Nigel from where I was but I was his back gun so he could not se me as he was to caught in shooting an just before the whistle blew a great single bird came right over Nigel at about 40 yards high bang the bird fell like a stone was the best bird of the drive,well done Nigel o for got to say thanks for my £5 :) drive 2 and 3 was fantastic with 3 right to lefts from me and high flying partridge and pheasants to wood pigeons and jays it was great,so on we went to drive 4 before dinner at this point the were 145 birds in the bag of a 120 bird day,I was on peg 6 at this point again the brids were fantastic high and fast from left to right and over head they kepth comming at this point I just took a moment to look back at Nigel shooting and see how he was doing,and boy was he taking some good birds from high fast left to right they were falling,so back to my shooting but I got caught up in watching the other guys shooting the whistle blew,so back for dinner we went and the bag at this point was well and truly full no body knew what was going to happen after lunch,every body congratulated Nigel on his bird from drive one as this was realy the only chance everyone got to sit down and chat about the mornings shoot and personally I have to say this is one of the best organoized shoots I was on,so dinner over and bag was well over 120 bird day Steve and the game keeper Paul got us all together and sent us of on a partridge drive and siad enjoy our selves but not to shoot the pheasants so we where given our peg numbers and of we went I had peg 6 was in the money seat this time,I could have filled my boots with partridge as there was loads coming from everywhere but I just took 4 very nice birds and whistle blew day was over and back to the yard we went for a count up and the final total from the day 245 birds so with no phone to take pictures as my batterie was flat sorry guys,so I have to thank Nigel for giving me on of the best memorable day of my life I would like also to thank all the guys and girls and to Paul and his dad Steve for having me it was truly one great day,thanks Nigel :),so of we set for another tour of the rest of the island tour over back to Wight mouse for drinks and dinner to discuss Saturdays rough shoot,again it was another 12am finish but Saturday was a late start so Nigel met me at 8.30am for breakfast and just a quick chat before we set of to meet everyone again I was made felt very welcome and felt part of the team,this one was beat one shoot one so we beat 5 shoot 5 and finish up on the ducks,so I was shooting Nigel's peg as he very kindly let me shoot in his place for the day and I don't know how he pulled it of but again he put me on the best peg thanks Nigel (mate) again some great birds fast I started of with one shot one kill a duck then miss and miss then after a few minutes the birds started falling one then two and again I had a very nice double the birds on this roughy are good birds,so one we went to beat with chicken nugget Nigel's dog at toe we started the beat again the brids was great nice night some fast some not shoot able as the were to low,so the the day went on with some hard birds some high and fast birds and some great birds taken I have to say well done to Jamie he has got a cracking shot so the day was finished on the ducks as this stage Corey joined us,I was giving quad lessons to him most of the day and took him for a quick ride around the field befor we started on the ducks and I tell you he pooped him self as we jumped of a quite high hill,never again he said I will never get on that quad with you again he said I was mental :) anyway back to the ducks where Corey joined us I handed him my gun and I have to say smile was enough to tell me how happy he was,so up the duck went and and with a few coming down but noting our way Jamie the next gun came over and chatted about the day to Nigel handing me his gun while him and Nigel chatted one duck came my way and at about 80 yards I let the 32 ins barlled miroku with number 5 let fly and down it went so with hand shakes and well done all round I was given shot of the day so day over and we ended up with a grand total of 55 birds,all packed up of we set for dinner to the local the chequers owned by one roger one of the guys shooting the day before so after a very nice pork roast it was ment to be beef lol:) but was very nice every one departed and I followed Nigel back to the boat home,so after a quick chat and a hand shake of I went to borad the ferry,so I would like to take this moment to say a very big thank to old farrier (Nigel) for giving me some of the best shootting I ever had and for meeting some great people,these are going to be two days I will never forget Nigel you are one gentleman and thank you very much for all you have done for me over the last 2 day including Thursday evening at the Wight mouse thanks mate I will never forget this weekend

ATB Vince

Well done Vincent and well done Old Farrier :good:

I enjoyed reading that. Sounds like a great shoot and a pretty laid back gamekeeper to let the bag go well over the 140 and then give you a partridge drive.

A £5 fine for the gents taking a wild one :blush:

What's the fine for the ladies that take a wild one? ???

Well done chaps

Mark

Well done Vincent and well done Old Farrier :good:

I enjoyed reading that. Sounds like a great shoot and a pretty laid back gamekeeper to let the bag go well over the 140 and then give you a partridge drive.

A £5 fine for the gents taking a wild one :blush:

What's the fine for the ladies that take a wild one? ???

Well done chaps

Mark

it was a great weekend,with great company,everyone was very laid back,as for the taking a wild one, next time I wil ask the ladys to help me out and get fined £10 :)

Hope your not bored with this 😗

Anyway here's my tale on the weekend

I had invited Vince for a taste of game shooting

He was worse than a kid at Xmas exited is not the word for it 😀

Got a call on the Thursday to say he was on his way all going to plan 2hours later another call he had forgot his welly boots (forcast was rain ) no worries I find you a pair was my reply its worse he said there in the bag with my shirt tie coat and moleskin trousers 😞

Well have you ever tryed finding a set of clothes for a leprechaun ?

Mad panick and idea borrow some off a 10 year old 😊

Met him and got installed in the local hotel /pub a bite to eat and a bit of a chat then bed early start the next day

Sucsess the clothes fitted bit big😗 but best I could do so suited and booted of we went scenic rout to the shoot (pies Vince)

Meet up with the keeper beaters and picker ups

The introductions over time for the draw 10 for Vince 5 for myself the weather was very wet overnight so the order of drives was changed

High wood was to be first always a good drive I think it was a slight baptism of fire for Vince I looked back after I heard his gun and saw a bird drop the smile and a little jig he danced was enough a thumbs up from the keepers dad

he always watches new guns to ensure there safe and sporting

The day was set to be a good one

Anyway enough for now

All the best

Of

If you want more of the day say 😊

Vince put a few more pictures up you must have a view or two 😀😀

Hope your not bored with this

Anyway here's my tale on the weekend

I had invited Vince for a taste of game shooting

He was worse than a kid at Xmas exited is not the word for it

Got a call on the Thursday to say he was on his way all going to plan 2hours later another call he had forgot his welly boots (forcast was rain ) no worries I find you a pair was my reply its worse he said there in the bag with my shirt tie coat and moleskin trousers

Well have you ever tryed finding a set of clothes for a leprechaun ?

Mad panick and idea borrow some off a 10 year old

Met him and got installed in the local hotel /pub a bite to eat and a bit of a chat then bed early start the next day

Sucsess the clothes fitted bit big but best I could do so suited and booted of we went scenic rout to the shoot (pies Vince)

Meet up with the keeper beaters and picker ups

The introductions over time for the draw 10 for Vince 5 for myself the weather was very wet overnight so the order of drives was changed

High wood was to be first always a good drive I think it was a slight baptism of fire for Vince I looked back after I heard his gun and saw a bird drop the smile and a little jig he danced was enough a thumbs up from the keepers dad

he always watches new guns to ensure there safe and sporting

The day was set to be a good one

Anyway enough for now

All the best

Of

If you want more of the day say

Vince put a few more pictures up you must have a view or two

i think I have a 4 or 5 but can't upload them,it keeps saying files are two big,as for the leprechaun part it is all true I'm afraid even green the pee and all :),so if you ever see green water in your toilet, you know I have been in your house :),I for got the outfit part nigel fitted a treat and i will never forget what you done for me that weekend,it was a pleasure to spend the weekend with you mate,one I will remember for many years to come,in all the chat and story's and banter,we can't forget Corey in all this a young gun,fun chap to be around and always smiling,he also have put some good memories with me which I will never forget,thanks nigel (old farrier) you are a true gentleman,I can't put into words the weekend I had thanks mate,