wonky cartridge

TIGHTCHOKE The powder card punch and sensors can be set to find a tilted card, a missing card or even a thinner card being inserted ie. a 3mm instead of a 4mm card Although this will even out when the wad is inserted so will not effect the load space. The packing machine can also be set to find miss shaped cartridges, crimp or tube bulge. There are mirrors there to view for quality. But some operators run two machines so one machine will be neglected at some time and if something is not set correctly substandard cartridges could run through at the rate of upto160 per minute!!!!

Yes I know how the factories work and how many shells can be made in a given period of time.

If you bring such strict quality controls in and the manpower that would be required to service the lines and the reduction in speed to allow a human to remove shells that fail your standards or to be tested to prove your quality level then the cost of the shells will rise massively and production amounts will drop significantly.

Currently all of the major players set their quality control at acceptable levels without raising the price so high that their product will not sell.

The faults shown above do not need the machine to be stopped. They can be found at the packer. = no down time = no lost production. (apart from the scrap one they have just removed).

TWO from the rails (the offending one and its neighbour), so as not to leave two shells out of sequence. Am I right, Graham?

"Do you actually believe there should be absolutely no damaged shells getting through? I think the price would rise dramatically if quality control was tightened up?"

"If you bring such strict quality controls in and the manpower that would be required to service the lines and the reduction in speed to allow a human to remove shells that fail your standards or to be tested to prove your quality level then the cost of the shells will rise massively and production amounts will drop significantly."

Its this kind of attitude to "**** it that'll do" that will see businesses undercut and out sold by better quality products from better run companies

Eley is the British Leyland of the cartridge industry......

Simple answer to the question:

"yes" remarkably I DO expect EVERY and ALL cartridges and Cases I buy whether for rifle or shotgun to be fit for purpose and fit in the ******* chamber!!

These faults could be picked up by a trained pigeon before packing

If they got rid of some excess accountants or consultants they could afford a real QC procedure

Edited by Bewsher500

TWO from the rails (the offending one and its neighbour), so as not to leave two shells out of sequence. Am I right, Graham?

Yes Alan. On a BSN Universal or a Turbo the operator can remove the two, one in the scrap to be cut up, and the other placed on the rail to make a pair when the next substandard one rolls by. On a Rapida they can place them on the printer and one in the scrap bin.

The loaders run much faster than the second hand ones I worked on. No pneumatic 'rotators' to ensure correct orientation on the track. They were slow and each shell, after printing, had to be conveyed vertically on a belt to give it the necessary potential energy to fall through a pear-shaped 'flipper' which aligned the shells on the track for packing. It was slow and allowed more than adequate time for an experienced operator to inspect and box the shells.

Remember these, Graham?

"Do you actually believe there should be absolutely no damaged shells getting through? I think the price would rise dramatically if quality control was tightened up?"

"If you bring such strict quality controls in and the manpower that would be required to service the lines and the reduction in speed to allow a human to remove shells that fail your standards or to be tested to prove your quality level then the cost of the shells will rise massively and production amounts will drop significantly."

Its this kind of attitude to "**** it that'll do" that will see businesses undercut and out sold by better quality products from better run companies

Eley is the British Leyland of the cartridge industry......

Simple answer to the question:

"yes" remarkably I DO expect EVERY and ALL cartridges and Cases I buy whether for rifle or shotgun to be fit for purpose and fit in the ******* chamber!!

These faults could be picked up by a trained pigeon before packing

If they got rid of some excess accountants or consultants they could afford a real QC procedure

!00% Brewsher500 Too many chiefs and not enough Indians, 3 operators running 6 loading machines!!! Another thing that doesn't help is when your parent company sends a container of substandard tubes, thick and thin walled, that you can see the shot through on one side (Probably because they couldn't load them). QC know and Management know. And your told to load them anyway, because they are an order of tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands to be done in the next few days. As you sow so yea shall reap.