.17 hornet

pstenson123

Not seen a 17-222 any data handy? If not I'll have a hunt at lunch can't see there being an advantage off a 17 rem though

Never seen one myself either, but I thought is was similar to the .17 Remington!? :hmm::hmm:

Anyone here got one, I'd be interested to hear a bit more about it! :good:

Found this so the 17-222 is a true wildcat by the looks of thing with no factory offerings that I can see!

The New 17 Remington Changed Everything

In 1971 Remington changed the entire 17 caliber world by offering factory [17 Rem] rifles, ammunition, brass, and bullets to those shooters who were so inclined. [Editor's Note: In 1971 Remington introduced the factory 17 Remington cartridge. Officially a .223 Remington necked down to 17 caliber, it was, in fact, much closer to the 17-222 wildcat in dimensions and case capacity.] Things finally began to look promising for the future of one of the most controversial calibers in firearms history, but it took another thirty-two years before the general shooting public accepted the 17 as a legitimate varmint buster and not just a whimsical pellet gun shooting jacketed hollow-point bullets. Of course, Im referring to the interval between the 17 Remington and the 17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (HMR). It seems as though handloading is becoming pass?.

Correct. The 17-222 is pure wildcat with minimal differences to the 17 Rem in performance. 20 gr bullets around 4k, 25gr bullets just under. Advantage is that it is different. I want to build a switch barrel set based on the 222 case. 17, 20, and 25 cal. With a set of redding type S dies, a change of bushing and you're there. Add in a savage bolt gun and you're just a quick barrel swap away. Practical? Not really. I wouldn't be doing it in the UK either since there is no way to really justify all of them. But it is more of a fun exercise in something different.

thanks,

rick

Correct. The 17-222 is pure wildcat with minimal differences to the 17 Rem in performance. 20 gr bullets around 4k, 25gr bullets just under. Advantage is that it is different. I want to build a switch barrel set based on the 222 case. 17, 20, and 25 cal. With a set of redding type S dies, a change of bushing and you're there. Add in a savage bolt gun and you're just a quick barrel swap away. Practical? Not really. I wouldn't be doing it in the UK either since there is no way to really justify all of them. But it is more of a fun exercise in something different.

thanks,

rick

Now that I get a fun and good exercise.