Fox tails

silver fox 1

Using the tanning solution that I mentioned earlier, only takes 36 hours to perfectly preserve a fox tail, or rabbit fur. The kit, when bought, makes two gallons of tanning solution, which works out a lot cheaper than Methylated Spirits. No messing around with salt etc, and no waiting for weeks to get the end result. I highly recommend this kit. I have been using it for years, for fox tails, rabbit furs, squirrel tails and whole fox pelts.

Using the tanning solution that I mentioned earlier, it only takes 36 hours to perfectly preserve a fox tail, or rabbit fur. The kit, when bought, makes two gallons of tanning solution, which works out a lot cheaper than Methylated Spirits. No messing around with salt etc, and no waiting for weeks to get the end result. I highly recommend this kit. I have been using it for years, for fox tails, rabbit furs, squirrel tails and whole fox pelts.

yes I thought the tanningkit was cheaper than the methylated spirits as well also quicker got mine in methylated spirits at the moment going to order a tanning kit for next time thanks for the link Steve🎓 regards sf1

yes I thought the tanningkit was cheaper than the methylated spirits as well also quicker got mine in methylated spirits at the moment going to order a tanning kit for next time thanks for the link Steve regards sf1

Also, after you have 'tanned' the fox tail. you can use the solution again. I use it no more than twice, then discard it. I use just enough to cover the tail and usually soak it in an empty ice cream container, giving it a stir every now and then.

Before I soak the tail, I use a stiff piece of wire and poke it through the tail. I was advised to do this by a Taxidermist friend of mine.

Anyone got any suggestions how to stop them going hard after being in the meths ? The last one I did was deboned then 4 weeks in meths washed with shampoo then air dried, but it has gone hard,

Thanks barney

I have found that when I tan rabbit furs, if I have not removed all of the fat and membrane off it before I put it to soak, the finished product 'sometimes' goes stiff. I have also found this happening to the odd fox tail, maybe one in fifteen. It would be very awkward to clean inside a fox tail before tanning it, unless you cut it open along it's length.