LARSEN TRAP

dusk2dawn

Hi all, some of us will have Larsen traps operating and I wonder how your doing, We have hade 9 so far this year,

As Magpies are quite high on my list of undesirables I would like to have a running total, if possible, to see if we are making a dent in their numbers. <_< D2D

Most Keepers that I know don't start using Larsen's until the end of March, as it's normally too cold and the call birds will die.

I realise that this Winter has been generally mild, but there's nothing to be gained by trapping too early as the Maggies are not threatening eggs or chicks at the moment.

If you trap them now others will simply move in over the next few weeks to take up the void.

Far better to leave them until territories are established and the Maggies are starting serious nesting and egg laying.

As a matter of interest, I caught 63 in the period early April to late June in my own back garden, and I live in a town centre..!! :unsure:

I also caught umpteen cats, a robin, two blackbirds and a Dunnock, all of which were released unharmed. :good:

Cat.

Most Keepers that I know don't start using Larsen's until the end of March, as it's normally too cold and the call birds will die.

I realise that this Winter has been generally mild, but there's nothing to be gained by trapping too early as the Maggies are not threatening eggs or chicks at the moment.

If you trap them now others will simply move in over the next few weeks to take up the void.

Far better to leave them until territories are established and the Maggies are starting serious nesting and egg laying.

As a matter of interest, I caught 63 in the period early April to late June in my own back garden, and I live in a town centre..!! :unsure:

I also caught umpteen cats, a robin, two blackbirds and a Dunnock, all of which were released unharmed. :no:

Cat.

We have bluetits in the boxes already, its that mild.

Last year we had a charlie with his head wedged in the Larsen trying to get at the call bird.

Traps should be out now, it doesnt matter if others come to fill the void, let them keep on coming.........

:good: D2D

Mungler,

You're dead right there, that's why trapping them is so effective, provided you can safely leave the trap where it's not trashed by do-gooders or other misguided hotheads.

The going rate for ready made Larsen's is about £50 - £75, I made my own, and like you, I get paid from the neck upwards and Joinery work is not my cup of tea, but I made a couple OK for about a tenner apiece.

A lot of people struggle to get their first call bird, you need a contact in the keepering world to get you started, let me know if you need one and I will sort you out.

Like most Keepers, I don't start trapping until the end of March.

Cat. :unsure:

I have just found detailed free plans:

http://www.landcare.co.nz/policies/files/M...four_banger.pdf

And will give this a go. My DIY ain't bad at all provided a refined finish is not required.

I can get a calling bird from outside the area from my farmer pal who has always got Larsens on the go, but I take the point that birds move in all the time. Whatever we do to his local fox and magpie population, new takers keep on coming in - I think the towns are the focal points for foxes and maggies now because idiots keep feeding them and giving them safe haven.

Hi all, some of us will have Larsen traps operating and I wonder how your doing, We have hade 9 so far this year,

As Magpies are quite high on my list of undesirables I would like to have a running total, if possible, to see if we are making a dent in their numbers. :unsure: D2D

58 since 1st sept last year in two traps, caught one today as it happens

Andy

edited 19th March

6 more since this post, all passed on to other trappers for the spring offensive

It is certainly no bad thing trapping magpies but I personally always try to sort out the carrion crows. They trap just as easily and IMO cause much more damage to game than magpies ever will. First priority is the carrions, then the maggies.

PS, tried the decoy owl thing last week, kinda worked, shot a maggie which came straight in but missed three separate crows :unsure: .The crows though were all shots at birds which were flaring away and were a bit rangey, no excuses though, should have had a couple.