410 cartridges

Hi all, I have recently found (found as in for sale not down the back of the sofa) a 410 that is the same as the one my dad first started shooting with.

It is proofed for black powder with 2 1/2" chambers.

Are there still suitable cartridges available for this gun as reproofing for nitro isn't really an option.

Cheers

Think you may be right! :sad1:

.410 black powder reloading is quite a place to start! If you do start loading black powder, it's even more crucial than smokeless reloading to seek someone experienced to get you going. One confusion of dram mass, dram volume or drachm and it could be the last we see of you. It's only simple rocket science though and could be quite a nice project. :)

Don't sweat the weighing of powder, just use the same volume of powder to shot.

Be it BP or Pyrodex.

Hogdens 777 you use less volume so that is weighed, this could be the best choice as it will give a little more room in the case!

Wads can just be a few thin cards, they just need to be wide enough for your bore, if .410, .420 would be ideal.

Just glue a card on top of the lot with clear nail varnish.

U.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think I'm going to start reloading for this gun as it probably wouldn't use more than 10 or 12 cartridges a year.

Will have a chat with someone I know that is in to muzzle loaders and black powder stuff see if i can get a couple of boxes made up.

Edited by bluesj

What would be "another issue" ... ?

Are you referring to the steel shot not being encased within a protective sleeve ?

There is that yes and the usually tight choking of .410 guns. Limited space for an increase in shot volume is another.

Tis a bit of a do, steel in .410. That is just an opinion mind!

U.

Edited by Underdog

Hoggy

you would end up with something like 12 grams of size 3 shot. It would be one of the worst shells ever made mate . And if its as tight as my mossy the shot would come out in single file hahaha .