Newbridge Shoot, Chirk

dafydd1983

Having been a member of the forum for years, but very rarely contributing to any discussions, I thought I'd make more of an effort this year! I started off by advertising a few small driven days on our pheasant syndicate where we typically shoot anything between 25-40 head a day, I thought this was a good way to to get chatting to fellow members and hopefully meeting up with a few. Over the course of the season we've had RUSSYD, WILDFOWLER12, PASSIONFORANGLING, JDOG and WELSHANDY come down for a day. These are some of today's photos where WELSHANDY, who before today hadn't shot on a driven pheasant day before, came down on a beat 1 shoot 1. Bag total was 40 Pheasant and 9 woodcock. If anyone fancies an affordable, informal, and enjoyable day out drop me a PM. Cheers

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/Dafydd-1983/slideshow/Shooting

Firstly I'll say there are three Saturday's left of the season, if anyone is contemplating going for a days shooting GO! For less than a night out on the pop you'll get a freshly cooked bacon roll and a brew on arrival and birds that would cost you over £30 a bird on any other shoot!

This was my first experience of proper driven pheasants and I was not disappointed. We arrived on the shoot for about 9.15am and with breakfast and the meet and greet out of the way we lined up the first drive.

I was on peg one and within a few minutes of the drive starting a cock pheasant came screaming out of the wood and I missed with both barrels! I was put at ease as I watched it fly past 4 more guns unscathed!

On the next peg I manged to drop two cock birds and a third on the last drive before lunch.

After lunch Dafydd asked if I'd beat the first drive which showed a good show of birds with at leased half a dozen woodcock.

We then went on to 'square wood' and on the way the other guns were saying that these birds were the best on the shoot! I was on the second peg and for the 4 birds that came motoring out of the wood with the wind in their sales I managed zero! They were to good for me!

I was expecting to beat the final drive but Dafydd and his dad said I could stand again, and was told by Dafydds dad not to miss!

For me this was the best drive as I managed four pheasants!

Like I said at the start if your thinking about going - don't think go, message Dafydd on here and get a day booked! Quality birds and loads of banter with a good bunch of lads!

Thanks Daf and Terry P you'll see me and Ryan again before the season has finished.

can definatly testify that anybody who goes on this shoot will enjoy the whole day as me and wildfowler12 did when we was there a few weeks ago.

its not all about the shooting and thats the way it should be, the people in the syndicate make the day aswell and there all really good people

I posted previously about my day there at the beginning of November. The chaps who are members of the shoot are very lucky to have found excellent land and woods to shoot over and they are lucky too to have found like-minded people to partake in the chores of a reared pheasant shoot. I cannot imagine that anyone with an open mind would not be impressed with the hospitality and friendliness of the shoot members and of course of the shooting on offer.

Just another update from our shoot today. Managed to do 6 drives, including bagging up 2 ton of corn at lunch time! First drive was Islwyns/Duck Pond/The Knob, this didn't show as many birds as usual but still managed 3 birds in the bag. Next up was Horse Field and The Big Wood, plenty of testing birds over the guns and another 4 in the bag. A quick drink and some wild boar pork pies, then onto The Sewerage drive, again, a little down on numbers but another 4 birds in the bag. After drinks we did the Pen Rough, this produced some tremendous birds, very testing even for the better shots! We picked up 11 birds for a lunch time total of 22 pheasant. After lunch we did Square Wood, followed by River Wood and finally Shed Drive. These all produced some great pheasants along with several woodcock. Unfortunately due to the recent rains the height of the fast flowing river had risen significantly and claimed 3 pheasants and a woodcock. Total for the day was 39 pheasants and 1 woodcock.

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dafydd1983/slideshow/Newbridge%20shoot