We finally managed to get out

Boston

With one thing and another me and Matt have missed most of this season but finally managed to get out for a few hours today.

We took last years Jill Minky and a three year old Hoblet Butch (albino) out and covered two warrens on our permission which in it's self is just a joy to be on, lovely open farm land with sandy soil, bliss to dig in :lol:

Butch went down first and bolted one but only after a tonn load of patients waiting for the little rat bag to come back up, but as he kept moving about we decided not to dig. Finally managing to get him out we moved up the hedgerow to the next big dig, 20 - 30 hole and bolt holes just on one side of the hedgerow with countless other on the other side, we did not have enough nets to cover them all, but thought we would have a go any way. Luck had it not five mins after letting Minky go down, rabbit no.2 bolted in to one of the nets. I had a go at necking, struggled a little... being a girlie :lol: and handing it across to Matt to make sure the deed was done!

We sat back for a good ten mins, tracking Minky every now and then letting her get on with the job at hand but found after a good five/ten mins of a constant beep in one place we decided to dig and find out what was going on. The little beauty had only got not one but two big buck bunnies in a stop, so we lent her a hand and got them out for her, dispatched and peed, Minky went down again and dragged a 4 weeker up so we though as no more was bolting we would give up for the day after sending the little 4 weeker back down the hole and on its way, sadly knowing it would have been abandoned, but hay, thats ferreting for you.

We got to our permission at rough half ten after doing the kids and left there at one wondering where the time had gone so quickly. Wished the season wasn't coming to an end so soon, but have decided to try our hand a few more times before giving up just yet.

Here are just a couple of pictures.

IMAG0001.jpg ~ Butch ready to go down the 1st warren

IMAG0002.jpg ~ Look what I got Dad!

IMAG0003.jpg ~ I want it back now, thank you very much!!

IMAG0004.jpg ~ Minky having a rag at one of her bunnies.

We were going to take a catch picture at the end of the day with me...but the batteries on the camera failed... never mind :lol:

We said that we would give it to the end of the month to get a bit more practise in for next season so we can go out with that bit more confidence having tried our hand. I wish we could have got the tracker sooner though as I have really enjoyed myself more than I thought I would.

But at least there is some thing else to look forward to this summer while we wait for the seasons to roll round again, one litter of ferrets from the girl that has proved herself to be a keen and eager hunter.

So what do you all do this time of year now you are not out with the nets?

Boston,

Sounds that you and Matt had a good day out, glad to hear. You are right it is a shame that the season is ending for this year, but a new one is just around the corner and will be hear before we know it.

As to what do I do while waiting.....shoot a few black birds and starlings for pies, and the odd yote oh and spring turkey season starts April 25. :good: Besides that I wait until I can get back to the UK to get out with some ferrets and shoot a few pigeons. :lol: In the mean time, my 3 littles and I will also be fishing through the spring and summer months and spending time on horseback. :lol: There is also dogs to run and property to get ready for holding a few birds on this fall, oh and a couple of new deer stands to build for this fall aswell. All in all I think we will be able to fill the time in. :/

NTTF

As to what do I do while waiting.....shoot a few black birds and starlings for pies, and the odd yote oh and spring turkey season starts April 25. :huh: Besides that I wait until I can get back to the UK to get out with some ferrets and shoot a few pigeons. :lol: In the mean time, my 3 littles and I will also be fishing through the spring and summer months and spending time on horseback. :P There is also dogs to run and property to get ready for holding a few birds on this fall, oh and a couple of new deer stands to build for this fall aswell. All in all I think we will be able to fill the time in. :(

NTTF

Thats it, we're on a plane to your place :lol::lol:

Hi Boston, though i am living in cheshire now was born and bred in boston so great to hear someone on the forum from that neck of the woods. :oops:

as far as the rest of the year goes until next season, i organise ferret racing with the kids both through drain pipes at home and more recently on leads and harnesses with ferrets trotting along behind. not quite to heel HAHA cant teach em to sit either but great fun!! will post pic of one of last years kits completeing walkies training when i figure out how to post pics.

Hi Boston, though i am living in cheshire now was born and bred in boston so great to hear someone on the forum from that neck of the woods. :lol:

as far as the rest of the year goes until next season, i organise ferret racing with the kids both through drain pipes at home and more recently on leads and harnesses with ferrets trotting along behind. not quite to heel HAHA cant teach em to sit either but great fun!! will post pic of one of last years kits completeing walkies training when i figure out how to post pics.

I'm look forwards to seeing the pictures.

I am hoping to get hold of a whippet/Bed pup or something of the like so I think I now know what I am going to fill my summer with, not to mention that the game shows have started ... out first one is next month <_< Can't wait to watch the dogs running again this year at the shows!!!