getting into stalking

Llanshooter

My wife bought me a days deer stalking with a guide for Xmas. Includes use of the estate rifle so is going to be ideal for trying it for the first time. There are loads of companies across the country doing this and it's cheaper than a day's driven pheasant.

Suggest you try this and see if it's for you before going through the rigmarole of getting an FAC.

To take up stalking and finding a nice piece of ground with a few deer on it is getting harder and harder to achieve. Don't believe all the stories on the news about deer numbers exploding out of control, there are many wannabe stalkers clutching their DSC1's lining up to shoot them. I was lucky, a farm on which I shot rabbits started to get a bit of a Muntjac problem and the odd Roe, the landowner had zero tolerance on both species so he helped me along with my first 243 ( and I did my DSC1 on request of my local Police force). Once you have experience and the word gets around that you are reliable and can supply the landowner with his own well butchered venison more opportunities arise but of course you must have the right ground to start and a bit of luck. If you are going to buy stalking then the only controlling factor of the quality of your sport is the size of your wallet.

To take up stalking and finding a nice piece of ground with a few deer on it is getting harder and harder to achieve. Don't believe all the stories on the news about deer numbers exploding out of control, there are many wannabe stalkers clutching their DSC1's lining up to shoot them. I was lucky, a farm on which I shot rabbits started to get a bit of a Muntjac problem and the odd Roe, the landowner had zero tolerance on both species so he helped me along with my first 243 ( and I did my DSC1 on request of my local Police force). Once you have experience and the word gets around that you are reliable and can supply the landowner with his own well butchered venison more opportunities arise but of course you must have the right ground to start and a bit of luck. If you are going to buy stalking then the only controlling factor of the quality of your sport is the size of your wallet.

totally agree I went down a similar route except I did a mentoring period. but to find decent ground to stalk free you will need to offer something, vermin control or a return of venison. I butcher my own venison and a lot of it goes straight back to the landowners aswell. also putting a lot of hours on the ground doing the unfashionable bits with traps etc

Thanks for the info chaps. I am not looking or expecting to get any land of my own. Really estate rifle/ cull is all i would expect to see how i get on with it. I wouldn't dream of trying to stalk in my own right until experienced enough and confident in my own abilities; DSC1 an essential for this.

I'm in North East Wales and there are no deer within an hour of me (some fallow in Abergele/st Asaph areas).

Thanks again