Webley and Scott - help

Gordon R

Acquired a Webley and Scott side by side today. On the top rib, it says H Easau Akliss Gunmaker Beverley and either side - on top of the barrels - it says Webley and Scott.

I have had a look at other Webley and Scott guns, but haven't seen one with a top locking crossbolt.

Double triggers, non-ejector, 28" barrels. Underneath it is nitro proofed for 1 1/8, 2 1/2 chamber. No idea of the choke. On the flats, underneath it says "choke", but I can't see any *s to denote the amount of choke.

Action is on the face and bores are good. Don't know whether to keep it or get rid.

Anyone have any idea of which model it might be?

post-3629-0-66059600-1423506241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

H.Esau.Akrill of Beverly sadly closed their doors in 2001 I think.Had the pleasure of talking to the last of the family to run the business not long before they closed.

They generally retailed trade guns,many being W&S made or by Joseph Bourne.

Bit of useless info I know but there you go...

Looking at the illustrations in `W&C Scott (Gunmakers)` by Pat Whatley it would appear to be a Model 300 made by Webley & Scott but probably retailed by Akrill`s. These were produced from 1922 to 39.The 300A superceded the 300 and featured better engraving. The price in 1935 was the princely sum of £21. You wont find any ** on it to signify the degree of choke as this method of marking is of continental origin. Trust this helps,

Edited by JJsDad