357/38 special underlever

Psyxologos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can personally recomend the winchester 1894 AE, mines never let me down and with a little polishing and deburing they run slick and smooth. I bought mine from a guy on here at a Rock bottom price who RFD it to me when I got it, it was absolutely filthy, it looked like it had never been cleaned but once I stripped it and put it through the ultrasonic cleaner it was better than new.

I did however find that in its factory standard setup that the trigger was heavy and that it was a little stiff and bumpy on the cocking action, but as its a popular gun in America there is lots of good gunsmithing advice available and lots of aftermarket parts.

What's the place in Derby called, would love to know?

I love the 94ae action too. The trigger is stonable, done a few. Does your action stay shut? Or does it want to pop open as soon as the lever is touched?

Also if in 357 there is a special spring screwed to the lever to aid controlling this small 357 case in this action. I have a couple if anyone needs one. The gun only needs it to top up the mag.

U.

Hi underdog

My gun is in 38special/ .357 butI have only ever shot .357 out of it, I home load so I just set the oal to a 38 but the case is still sized at .357 lenth, not sure about this little screw your referring to but I'd like to know more, And the bases are leupold, medium height I think.

Leupold! Very posh lol.

Yeah the 357 is on the small side for the Win 94 and to top up the mag a special spring is fitted to the lever to aid the loading gate in pushing the next round in battery back into the magazine so you can top up. Sometimes these little springs break. Normal operation is fine but short stroking the bolt to empty the chamber and then closing the action again stress the little spring so try to avoid short strokes, full operation all the time!

Not all doom and gloom! The gun will still shoot with out it.

U.

I have underdogs old winchester 94ae 38/357,thanks again U. It runs and shoots great. Just done my first batch of home loads in 357 magnum and tested at 25yrds and getting a 2" group with 10 shots whith open sights freehand,so I'm happy. Testing at 100yrds Tuesday,I will shoot that of a bag to see what happens.

I've got a Winchester 94ae in 357 too. I scoped mine,but with low magnification so its really just for aquiring a target. Accurate out to 100yds even with homeloads and great fun to use. The mounts i chose allow you the option to use the open sights too.

Picture464Custom.jpg

Homeloading is where your savings come in though. I cast my own bullets (158gr RNFP) and am currently using 6 grains of Unique which makes for a accurate load and works out around £4 for 50x as the only cost is for the primer & powder.

I have had a Marlin 1894cs for around 8 years, it's an older model, that's been tricked and slicked by SYSS. The only issue I have had after putter best part of a 2500 rounds through it is the two piece firing pin was worn and got soft primer strikes. I replaced it with a single piece firing pin (simple job) and it never misses a beat. The side eject of the Marlin makes it easier to mount a scope with low mounts.

I have had a Marlin 1894cs for around 8 years, it's an older model, that's been tricked and slicked by SYSS. The only issue I have had after putter best part of a 2500 rounds through it is the two piece firing pin was worn and got soft primer strikes. I replaced it with a single piece firing pin (simple job) and it never misses a beat. The side eject of the Marlin makes it easier to mount a scope with low mounts.

Rascal, I have just put a 1 piece firing pin in my 1894c and it moves freely if you tip the rifle up or down you can see it move back and forth inside the bolt, the 2 piece pin had a spring stopping this from happening. Is this ok or have i done something wrong when fitting it?

Rascal, I have just put a 1 piece firing pin in my 1894c and it moves freely if you tip the rifle up or down you can see it move back and forth inside the bolt, the 2 piece pin had a spring stopping this from happening. Is this ok or have i done something wrong when fitting it?

Yes that's fine, mine is exactly the same. The one piece pin should move freely inside the bolt (no spring).

Link don't work for me.

It works fine here. It is an american website and they are talking about some feeding problems. Here is a taster

Recently my win94 AE has started to feed cartridges out of the magazine tube under the carrier locking the gun up. Everything is clean and lubed, any ideas whats going on here?? I'm wondering if the stop on the end of the link is bad, it does not appear worn.

I had the same trouble. They installed a new stop at winchester when I first had the problem. I later had one occure also with the new stop. Both times it occured I was working the lever really fast and both time I broke the lifter off. When I bought me last lifter it was from the outfit that Browning transfered all the factory parts to when they closed the New Haven plant. Rather than have the problem again and paying $35 for the part I sold the rifle.

ame problem here. After ordering a new cartrige stop link, it still failed to keep rounds in the mag tube. Since I then had two of those parts that didn't work, I used my torch and brazed the stop up useing work hardening nickel silver rod. I then carefully shaped the stop with small fine files to the original shape plus a few thous in heigth and length. Made some dummy rounds with no primer or powder and tested for function. Now the rounds would drag on the stop coming out of the magazine tube so I slowly worked it down with a jewlers file until I got perfect function. It's been working great for three range trips now and approx 500 shots.

There also is a small chromed sheet steel guide (?) attached to the lever that is only used on the 357s due to the narrower case. If it is bent at all it will also cause feeding issues. Order a few of them now while you can.

It appears that the Model 94 Winchester and the .357 cartridge are not a good fit. Maybe it's just Winchesters quality control, I don't know for sure but I noticed that the sear is very soft. I'm guessing the carrier is the same. I've ordered a new carrier and the sheet metal cartridge stop from Browning and plan on welding up the old carriers stop and fitting it with a harder welding rod. The cartridge stop is only in the .357's and when it breaks it prevents you from adding ammo when the gun has shells in the mag tube. If I get another lever gun it will either be a '92 clone or a Marlin

Oh that, sure. That can and has happened on most the cal range of the win94! Including 30/30.

Although designed for the longer rounds one thing one should never do is short stroke a 94 or be gentle with it!

Emptying the chamber of a round but not lifting the next round (short stoking) puts extra load on the cartridge stop and mag cut off.

If you want to empty the chamber with a mag full empty the chamber and the one on the carrier too.

Swift motion forward and back and your fine.

Marlins suffer too, 94 and 336 only though the win94 can be repaired as touched on in the quotes without buying parts.

Edited by Underdog

Oh that, sure. That can and has happened on most the cal range of the win94! Including 30/30.

Although designed for the longer rounds one thing one should never do is short stroke a 94 or be gentle with it!

Emptying the chamber of a round but not lifting the next round (short stoking) puts extra load on the cartridge stop and mag cut off.

If you want to empty the chamber with a mag full empty the chamber and the one on the carrier too.

Swift motion forward and back and your fine.

Marlins suffer too, 94 and 336 only though the win94 can be repaired as touched on in the quotes without buying parts.

That's great. Thanks. Any idea as to whether they still make them? I can only find them second hand...

That's great. Thanks. Any idea as to whether they still make them? I can only find them second hand...

Far as i know-they stopped production of them back in the mid 90's.

One thing which slicked my Winchester was using 'Frog Lube' on all the linkages and moving parts.Deffo recomend this stuff.

http://froglube.com/

Thanks guys. So that rules them out then, if I am to buy new. With (pre merger) Marlins going for circa £1100 second hand, a second hand Winchester at circa £900 is similar money for a less prestigious gun, no? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I did want to buy new though...