WMR ammo recommendations.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason for which I know not - American market? - the MV of both of these have been reduced from the original spec'; 2020 to 1920 and 1650 to 1530 respectively as follows but the RWS 40gr JSP and the Federal 50gr JHP may be worth a look. The Federal was a brute but I changed to the RWS as it was more accurate but equally pokey in my new rifle. At about the time the velocities changed, the WMR became redundant as the farm stopped the egg production and there was no longer a need for the short range fox rifle so I sold it and haven't actually tried the reduced load versions myself but my oppo used them and had no complaints.

have to ask but where are they being hit?

I use the WMR with 33gr Remington Accutip and it is devastating

usually all head on chest shots or mid fore chest (in the crook of the shoulder avoiding leg bones)

had a couple go maybe 10yds but they were down to less than ideal angles

I would use VMax though if you can get it

UD, given your obvious skills, I did not quite understand your choice of WMR in the first place....... I wondered if you looked at the .22 hornet or the 222?

I guess there is a logical reason.

Just trimming back. Does double duty on small game.

Just need to find the right bullet.

U.

Edited by Underdog

Guest stevo

underdog ,

just for you .me and a mate of mine was testing some WMR ammo 30 grn Vmax and CCI Maxi mag 40 grn Jack/hollow point , the target was a bog standard household Radiator ( my old downstairs bathroom rad )

I was using the Vmax he was using the CCI , there was a couple of grouping on there but the idea was just to try penetration really so we just shot at it random as we had already tested them out too 120 yrds on paper ( Vmax won that too ) I believed the Vmax would just fragment on impact , however I was wrong , it went clean through the RAD at 100 yrds , The CCI did not , you can see from the back of rad

front

https://photos-2.dropbo

x.com/t/2/AABWkAP39uvWOYuHuAuS9MOa_399CuugQk9ehQ6wtKmlVA/12/87827546/jpeg/32x32/3/1427630400/0/2/Pict0022rad.JPG/CNrI8CkgASgB/eu5Br4hHH1S79KquTUUW1qSdRWDCMvQOBlO2w6AVUDg?size=1024x768

back

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AADAykVlo6MYj-0i2aLgGUDkp2xGKb6amZ30M4DDpGhrkQ/12/87827546/jpeg/32x32/3/1427630400/0/2/Pict0021rad.JPG/CNrI8CkgASgB/gMvrY-3jaz0Q5w4eTf6rEAYzc51doy6s7Ab_PtHZRcE?size=1024x768

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

Thanks Stevo. That has surprised me!

U.

you me both mate .

I think the secret as to why the Vmax work for me and in just my humble opinion , at 100 yrds on fox I think there spot on , the bullet has slowed down to a point where reliable expansion will fail ( unless you hit something hard ) the polymer tip is rock hard on Vmax heads and as I say the reduction in velocity allows the head to travel deep into the fox .not enough though to exit the fox , but still in deep and so leaving all the ME as a parting gift .

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

I'm only going by my rifle and my findings Here. But the cci maxi mags do have quite a thick jacket. however Not very fragible they do leave a very deep wound channel. And do seem to.smash there way through.I can't really speak about the remmington as I dont really use them. But going on your experience in probably won't haha. Like.I.say my faves are the Vmax and the cci maxi mags.

Edited by stevo

I use 30 grains Hornady V-max in my Savage model 24 combination gun .22 WMR/ 20 bore as my sole foxing gun. All shots below 100 meters, so no need for .22 centrefire. Really effective round on fox, if one keeps the range below 100. RWS and Federal JHP Game Shok 50 grains are also quite good, but either hard to get and / or expensive.

I use 30 grains Hornady V-max in my Savage model 24 combination gun .22 WMR/ 20 bore as my sole foxing gun. All shots below 100 meters, so no need for .22 centrefire. Really effective round on fox, if one keeps the range below 100. RWS and Federal JHP Game Shok 50 grains are also quite good, but either hard to get and / or expensive.

Another vote for v-max then!

I too am a fan of Savage 24.

Thanks.

The CCI came out better!

Yes and no. Overall the CCI and RWS ran close with the RWS just pipping the CCI. But if you take into account availability and price, CCI takes the honours. As ever (on paper) the poor BC of a lighter weight V Max remains its weakness. Please note though I had to calculate the BC for the CCI but having done so the figures obtained coincided precisely with those given for the sample of ranges provided by CCI in their tech' spec'. Excluding the BC for the 50gr Federal, the lower MV of the CCI was offset by it having the highest BC.

Edit: PS. It was a while back and as they were not accurate in my rifle, I discarded the Remington 33gr and had forgotten all about them. Bewsher has a point, a very good point. Down range where it matters Infinity reflects that the inferior ME of these compared with the CCI is cancelled out by their superior (better even than the CCI) BC. Again, please note that I had to calculate that BC but the figures as near as makes no difference tallied with those from Remington in their spec'. The bullet path and wind drift effect are also superior. If you fancy a ballistic tip,this could well be the one.

Edited by wymberley