What else do you harvest

new to the flock

We know most of us harvest fowl and game but what else do you use from the country side?

For me in the spring I like wild leeks and morel mushrooms,smelt fishing with dip and cast net, the first trout... browns and rainbows...Last Saturday in April Opener.... Spring catfish, perch and crappies. Then into Crayfish trapping, and the Bass opener ...last Saturday of June. And then as soon as I can it is backberries, strawberries, field mushrooms, puff balls, wild russet apples.....I have two coveted wild trees .....sweat chestnuts when I can find them.

Spring also brings our wild turkey season with it....April 25th to May 31st, but it also after the nesting period brings red winged black bird and starling hunting in the field with the flushers to make pies with 4 and 20 you know :lol:

Then back to the fall for rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, deer, moose, bear and grouse, pheasant, partridge

NTTF

We know most of us harvest fowl and game but what else do you use from the country side?

For me in the spring I like wild leeks and morel mushrooms,smelt fishing with dip and cast net, the first trout... browns and rainbows...Last Saturday in April Opener.... Spring catfish, perch and crappies. Then into Crayfish trapping, and the Bass opener ...last Saturday of June. And then as soon as I can it is backberries, strawberries, field mushrooms, puff balls, wild russet apples.....I have two coveted wild trees .....sweat chestnuts when I can find them.

Spring also brings our wild turkey season with it....April 25th to May 31st, but it also after the nesting period brings red winged black bird and starling hunting in the field with the flushers to make pies with 4 and 20 you know :lol:

Then back to the fall for rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, deer, moose, bear and grouse, pheasant, partridge

NTTF

Cockles

Muscles

Whelks

Sloes

Blackberries

Raspberries

Trout - Brown and Rainbow

Flounder

Plaice

My keen time has to be when the hazel nuts are ready. I like blackberries and dewberries, and sometimes make jam. I want to try hawthorn sweets this year, just to see if they're any good. I'm learning mushrooms too, but only know a few so stick to them (shaggy ink cap, puffball etc). I don't like fish :lol:

I get a hard time from some, but in our house we are happy to except any bounty nature can offer to the rod and gun or otherwise, this includes fresh road kill game birds and deer, all wild fruits and nuts in season, Prawns, crabs and mackerel from the pier. Snails after a good rainfall (as long as you purge them first) mushrooms and puff balls etc, In fact just about anything off the beaten track so to speak. Not because we are hard up we just thinks its fun, plain and simple.

NTTF do you remember we drank more beer than the Prawns we caught :lol: I recon it was LB's fault his hands smelt of Diesel and must have soured our bait in the nets

NTTF do you remember we drank more beer than the Prawns we caught :) I recon it was LB's fault his hands smelt of Diesel and must have soured our bait in the nets

:P:P:lol::no:

I did enjoy that :) and would love to give it another go. It is very similar to dip netting for smelt over here :lol:

Just remind me to bring a bucket to stand on next time so I can see over the pier :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I also enjoyed walking around the docks and fish market at LB's end with fresh seafood being unloaded from the boats and then directly into our hands :/

NTTF

I harvest what I can when I can,

Trouble is some of the best local fruit and nut trees are either now in some posh house's garden or they have been bulldozed to make way for a posh house.

I was only thinking at the weekend that I haven't been out "Winkling" lately and quite fancy a feed.

There is plenty of sloes and blackberries around in the autumn.

I also try and get out sea fishing whenever I can.

I harvest what I can when I can,

Trouble is some of the best local fruit and nut trees are either now in some posh house's garden or they have been bulldozed to make way for a posh house.

I know what you mean, as the farms and country side are broken into ever smaller pieces access to certain trees is well........denied. :no:

One of the jams that Trix and I put up in the fall is called POACHERS JAM. The name came about as all the fruit that is in it has been poached under the cover of darkness from just such trees :lol::/:)

So yes you lot you were eating Forbidden Fruits :P:P:lol:

NTTF