She has gone in!

apbuild

I have finally got round to sending my beloved Sako stainless synthetic to the gunsmith to have the barrel chopped down.

I recently had an AUS5 fitted and just felt that the added weight to the muzzle was a bind.

I have asked for the barrel to be cut from 22'' down to 19'' and then re-screwcut. The gunsmith is also making me a screw thread protector from the offcut of barrel.

All in all, £60.00.

Will let you know how it performs when back and zeroed.

Rob.

Years ago I bought a new 22-250 Remington 700 Varmint and had it cut down by 5".

The shop was appalled, but I just said "Do it".

I had a Vaime silencer fitted which added anoth 12" or so, but this was in the days before T8's were available.

The accuracy was superb, and I had this gun for several years.

What you have to remember is that I was told for every 1" that you cut off the barrel you lose 50fps velocity.

So, I ended up with a 22-250 with the velocity almost down to 0.223 levels, but it was supremely accurate, relatively light in weight and the barrel was not too long.

However, without the silencer, the blast and noise was appalling, and at night the flame from the end of the barrel on firing was truly impressive!

Don

you must have a good bit of faith in the gunsmith because it would take great skill to do all that and then re crown the rifle and still be accurate.I hope it turns out fine for you though. :good:

Have a look at this website. This guy knows his stuff when it comes to sorting out barrels

http://www.rifles.me.uk/

Jonno

I have finally got round to sending my beloved Sako stainless synthetic to the gunsmith to have the barrel chopped down.

I recently had an AUS5 fitted and just felt that the added weight to the muzzle was a bind.

I have asked for the barrel to be cut from 22'' down to 19'' and then re-screwcut. The gunsmith is also making me a screw thread protector from the offcut of barrel.

All in all, £60.00.

Will let you know how it performs when back and zeroed.

Rob.

It's all the rage Rob, I sent my barrel off in the post last week - fingers crossed :good:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;#entry292004

Here is a bit of light reading for those considering doing the same:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html