Wow, proper 'boys own' stuff.

Scully

Agreed. Great stuff. Amazing research and sonar sweeps to find this dot on the seabed. But for the Treasury to melt the coins down!! Let's hope they kept some for historical reference.

But old aunty BBC has its facts wrong again. At 5,150 mtrs it was not a "dive". It was submersibles and crane grabs.

Wrecks are fascinating. I've dived many over the years, the best being in Truk Lagoon in the Pacific. Still full of tanks, vehicles ammunition etc. you can enter a wreck going down to the engine room and holds and not see the light of day for 20-30 minutes. sadly, no coins. They've all been nicked.

I just love stories like this; they excite the hell out of me. I would give my OH's left leg to go on an expedition such as this.

The story behind it and the fate of the survivors I find just as fascinating. Great stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32316599

Forgot to post link....again.

wow you are sounding like your avatar :lol: . get yourself a metal detector you get the same buzz when you find something nice . you also get to curse all these people who have been out with shotguns over the years :lol:

I just love stories like this; they excite the hell out of me. I would give my OH's left leg to go on an expedition such as this.

The story behind it and the fate of the survivors I find just as fascinating. Great stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32316599

Forgot to post link....again.

Your OH would be hopping mad with you if you did that.... :)

get yourself a metal detector you get the same buzz when you find something nice . you also get to curse all these people who have been out with shotguns over the years :lol:

This is in hand actually. Finally getting around to getting my finger out as I was talking to a local plasterer the other day who is heavily into this. He once found some Queen Anne (?) silver coins valued at £3000 which are now in Kendal museum. He split the proceeds with the landowner.

He has a Minelab on which he has had an arm support attached due to the weight. Think I'm veering towards the Teknetics.

Your OH would be hopping mad with you if you did that.... :)

I'll get your coat. :)

Teknetics nice machine the wife uses the G2 i had the T2. But for the last 4years i have used the XP DEUS the best machine there is, its a light as a feather. Its a lovely hobby, better than golf.

My best find todate is a 3600 year old brozen age spearhead. It still gives me a buzz when i remember holding it for the first time. I was the first person to hold it in my hand in 3600 years. You ask your self and it been used in hunting or fighting someone.

So what part of the country are you based, see you said Kendal in your reply.

Eden Valley, Cumbria. Only 10 minutes from Clifton Moor, where in Dec 1745 the last battle on English soil took place involving the forces of the Duke of Cumberland and those of Bonnie Prince Charlie. A woman whom I've done some work for in the past says I can 'have a dig' in her garden ( not a euphemism :) ) whenever I like, but I'm not sure about the legal implications as yet so will have to find out prior to doing so.

http://www.ancientmonuments.info/monuments/clifton-cumbria

Most of these will be a no go area. Anything english heritage are a no no they hate detecting full stop.if someone has a monument on there land you are only allowed to detect so far up to it cant remember if its 50 or 100 yards. English and scotish laws are differant.

Will try and find you some more info, a great website for metal detecting is called "rogers relics" its one of the best detecting forums there is, a bit like pigeon watch.