Pet insurance

Lancs Lad

I did a major search and comparison exercise when I insured our pup late last year.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure that you are comparing like for like.

The most important area is period of cover.

Some of the cheaper quotes are by the year.

For example; Your dog has an allergy in year 1 and needs treatment, in Year 2 that would be classed as a "pre-existing" ailment and you could not claim.

So for any problem that needs ongoing treatment, you must ensure you have a "full life" policy.

These are more expensive, but they will cover your claim (to a fixed maximum) year on year.

I eventually took out a full life Silver policy with Healthy Pets, who I decided were the best on offer.

The premium was £154.94 pa.

Four weeks after taking out the insurance, the pup was aggravating her ears and I took her to the Vets.

She had ear mites, not unusual in pups apparently, especially those from kennels with a large dog population (she came from a hunting pack) and the Vet gave us a preparation to put in her ears over a 2 week period, plus some conditioner.

When I paid the bill (£70 ish) the Receptionist asked if we were insured, I said we were and she said to drop a claim form in and they would complete it.

This I did and received a cheque from Healthy Pets for their contribution to the costs, within 48 hours.

So now I am even more convinced I made the right choice.

I did a major search and comparison exercise when I insured our pup late last year.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure that you are comparing like for like.

The most important area is period of cover.

Some of the cheaper quotes are by the year.

For example; Your dog has an allergy in year 1 and needs treatment, in Year 2 that would be classed as a "pre-existing" ailment and you could not claim.

So for any problem that needs ongoing treatment, you must ensure you have a "full life" policy.

These are more expensive, but they will cover your claim (to a fixed maximum) year on year.

I eventually took out a full life Silver policy with Healthy Pets, who I decided were the best on offer.

The premium was £154.94 pa.

Four weeks after taking out the insurance, the pup was aggravating her ears and I took her to the Vets.

She had ear mites, not unusual in pups apparently, especially those from kennels with a large dog population (she came from a hunting pack) and the Vet gave us a preparation to put in her ears over a 2 week period, plus some conditioner.

When I paid the bill (£70 ish) the Receptionist asked if we were insured, I said we were and she said to drop a claim form in and they would complete it.

This I did and received a cheque from Healthy Pets for their contribution to the costs, within 48 hours.

So now I am even more convinced I made the right choice.

Cheers cranners....have you got contact no or web address?

Can reccomend healthy pets too - last year we took the insurance out on a friday and by the sunday dog had broken his leg! :/ Even though we hadn't signed any paperwork they didn't try and wriggle out of it.

They picked up the £799 bill without question or arguement, very happy about that.

just looked at the site , did two quotes £67 bronze for the lab £45 bronze for the collie , that cant be right .

whats the catch !!!! where are there hidden extras .

is bronze worth having , silver looks much better for a little more .

Andy -- can i ask ( if you dont mind ) what is your yearly premium with them .

Just had him sorted.....................

Better be ok Cranners... :good: .....

Went for Silver as it seemed adequate.....................Touchwood Ill never have to use it.

Little ****** is currently having his power nap on my foot poof.....................