AirArms S510 FAC Xtra Unreal Pellet Drop!

jonnys

Hi folks

I'm looking for some thoughts on pellets drop that I'm experiencing please...

I have recently bought a new AirArms S510 FAC Xtra it's 28lbs pressure.

I zeroed it into 40m and it grouped nicely, but when I moved the target out to 60m the drop off on the pellet was unreal. By the time it got to 60m it was dropping by about 12 inches.

I'm using .22 Bisley Magnums which I think are about 21 grain.

I mainly use a 17hmr for my shooting and just wonder if I've got so use to shooting a flat trajectory gun, that I need to get use to a FAC air rifle OR if somethings not right???

Many thanks in advance, Jon

A 21 grain pellet with 28 ft/lb works out at a muzzle velocity of (roughly) 775 fps. So even if the pellet isn't losing much velocity it's still going to take an extra 1/10th of a second to travel that extra 20 metres. Which will be a considerable drop.

I'd suggest trying a lighter pellet - 15 grain or so. You'll have a much higher mv, meaning that drop will be far less.

I've just put it through Hawke's Chairgun pro (worth downloading; it's free) and whilst it's not foolproof, it reckons your drop off should be about 4.25" @ 66yds from zero of 44yds (I had to convert from metres). It's not 100% accurate, but it would say that a drop off of 12" is a problem! Are you able to check the power of the gun? Interestingly, you get a drop of 12" give or take if it's running at 11.5ft/lb. Probably a coincidence, but it sounds like you should get the power looked at!

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/chairgun.html

Edited by chrisjpainter

Try a lighter pellet, as suggested above. Try AA's own Diablo Fields - the trajectory will be much flatter as they are 15.9gn and as long as they group well it will be a nice set up. I don't us 21gns in any of my FAC airguns.

Thanks folks, I will try using a lighter pellets, I thoughts those magnums were heavy but everyone seemed to recommend them for FAC air rifles so just went with them.

Chris - thanks for taking the time to look that up for me

All the best, Jonny