Sharpening stone recommendation

DeepThought

Hi

As we have a fair few knife experts among us this looks as good a place to ask as any.

My cherished Wüsthof cook's knife has been slowly losing its edge over the last few months to the point I just can't hone it with the steel like I used to and I think it needs something a little stronger.

Can anyone recommend a decent combination whetstone for general use? I've looked around online but I'm completely blinded by choice.

Thanks

Water stones - say a 320 for shaping the bevel, 800 or 1200 to get a fine feather edge, then a big flat strop with blue polishing compound to finish.

Try Axminster.co.uk for the stones and polish, and make the strop yourself by gluing a strip of leather 2" x 18" or so onto a length of wood the same size, rough side out.

I use an amtech diamond stone in the kitchen, it's cheap, cost a tenner delivered, it cuts fast, leaves a decently sharp edge, fine enough to be shaving sharp, yet toothy enough for cutting fibrous materials. Care is easy, rinse and dry,no flattening needed, can just toss it in a draw without breaking it.

I've got waterstones, spyderco hones, wetndry in various grits, oilstones, and had a lansky kit, but the amtech does the job quickly, cheaply, and combined with a ceramic steel,keeps my kitchen knives shaving sharp with no hassle.

Dmt diamond stones are better quality, and last longer, but I've used the same amtech for 6 years, solely for kitchen duty, and taking to friends to do their knives, and it still cuts