any help with this recurve bow

foxbasher

hi all, i picked up a recurve bow from the car boot sale this morning and its a little different from others that ive seen of this style. ive bought one or two of these before and they only have a draw weight of about 18-25lb but this bow is a lot longer and a lot more substantial. measuring strait across from knock to knock its 60" and draw weight i would guess to be at least 30-40lb. there's no makers name and the bow is in really nice condition so id like to shoot it. can anyone tell me how i should measure the bow to get an idea of what length string i should order.

any info greatly received.

cheers, fb

DSC_0657_zpsyapm0ol9.jpgDSC_0659_zps0ntrser7.jpgDSC_0660_zpskyljs3o7.jpg

use a piece of string and follow from nock to nock going on the outside of the curves and measure that, then tell an archery shop or string maker the results for them to advise you.

I would be surprised if it's 40lbs though

Edited by vmaxphil

Had a look on line and the strings are pretty cheap but all different sizes. There is an archery shop not too far from me, may try and pop in there later in the week. Ive got some smaller bows that are almost identical to this one and are marked 24lb. This one is about 10" longer 1.5" wider at the grip and a hell of a lot harder to compress

Had a look on line and the strings are pretty cheap but all different sizes. There is an archery shop not too far from me, may try and pop in there later in the week. Ive got some smaller bows that are almost identical to this one and are marked 24lb. This one is about 10" longer 1.5" wider at the grip and a hell of a lot harder to compress

Its a glass fibre training bow - most archery clubs used to use them on their beginners courses. Go along to Quicks at Waterlooville who can sort out a string. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Edited by MrM