Which Calibre?

beatingisbest

Best bet is to try a few first .

I have .22lr/.17hmr and .223 when I applied for the variation for the cf. Hants firearms officer was fantastic,very helpfull and visited my land personally to check it out.Even suggesting that rather than get .243 for fox and deer keep the 223 for fox and get a bigger one if I want to shoot deer.

Even better after having the 223 for 9 months on a licensed land only condition they changed it to an open ticket no problem whatsoever.

Apply for what you want and not what you think they will give you.You can then barter with them if needs be.

Good Luck

Reefman

i would say .22-250 lots of punch for fox's and good for roe deer, as for your license, they cant refuse you a higher calibre if you say what it is for, you could apply for a .243 and say it's for foxes and deer, they might put a limitation on your license stating you have to go out with someone who has permission. but once you have the license it normally takes the police 5 years to open your certifacte, but after having a centre fire on your license for more than 3 months you can send in letters from farmers saying your doing a good job at pest control and ask for your license to be opened, normally this is done, especially if you say it's inconvenient to have a closed certificate.

I was under the impression they can deny what they like with FAC stuff. It's shotguns they have to work hard to refuse. If they don't think your safe or you don't have enough need to own one, you have very little chance of getting it if they don't want you to! As for the centre fire question, I'd go .223. The ammo is plentiful, reloading is simple, and it has a wide range of loadings available for various tasks :lol:

In October i will be applying for my FAC and will be applying for a bunny calibre and a fox cal too. I have decided on .22lr for the rabbits, but im not sure what to go for with the fox cal?

I am thinking of .22hornet

Please help me decide :angry:

338 lapua magnum a good all round calibre :lol: