Norma brass - help please!

Morning all.

Does anyone find that the Norma brass is soft?

I ask as I have been collecting brass from fired factory rounds in anticipation of beginning reloading. I was cleaning some up last night, and I have found that all of the cases from my 40gr Norma rounds have a ridge around the body just above the case head - I would presume at the start of the web. It is not a bulge, just a ridge that can be seen and felt with a fingernail.

It is bizarre as I have brass from some Remington and Hornady rounds that don't have this ridge at all. I also notice that the primers are more flattened on these fired Norma rounds compared to the Rems and Hornady rounds I have fired?

I'm trying to figure out if the brass is safe to use again or whether to bin them? Full length resizing does get rid of the ridge if this helps.

Advice please chaps!!

Thanks in advance

Thats fairly common and not restricted to Norma.The case expands but the base doesn't so it happens every time to some degree. Its not always visible but its always there.

Thanks, that would make sense! So I'm ok to plough on and re-use the brass then? Out of interest, does this create weak spot on the body of the brass? Is it something to keep an eye on?

My advice is to avoid any used cases with a ring around the juncture of the body and head.

Get a paper clip. Sharpen one end to a point. Bend the pointed tip over at a right angle.

Insert in the case and feel down the case wall inside. If a case head is nearing separation you will feel the ring inside!

My advice is to avoid any used cases with a ring around the juncture of the body and head.

Get a paper clip. Sharpen one end to a point. Bend the pointed tip over at a right angle.

Insert in the case and feel down the case wall inside. If a case head is nearing separation you will feel the ring inside!

Thanks Underdog. That's a bit of a sod then as 95% of my brass has this ring as the 40gr Normas are my usual load :no:

Why would factory loads be doing this then? Any ideas? Bad brass etc?

I'll try the paper clip technique tonight and see what I can feel. There aren't any other signs of case head separation such as shiny spots etc.

Edited by marnold

It only seems to be Norma on mine! All other cases look good. I was worried that I may have an out of spec chamber...but I don't understand why only one lot of brass does it! Would all of my brass have a ridge if my chamber was bad?

Edited by marnold

Remember that the brass case is the most expensive component in making a cartridge . So it wouldn't surprise me if a manufacturer cut back on the quality of the brass in the making of cartridges . They are only concerned that the brass will last for one firing . Having said that I don't think you have any thing to worry about . I have used Norma brass for reloading .308 for many years and got multiple loadings from them .

Harnser

I have some once fired norma brass, well 60 of them off a mate, they started life as 40g balistic tips,all 60 are the same as yours,some of them also have pierced primers. All of them have been shot in a 223 cz 527. With the pierced primers I'm guessing they are a quite hot load,or my mates rifle needs looking at. It might be that the bottom of the brass hasn't expanded as much as the body due to the brass being thicker-stronger at the bottom. I'm going to use them for loading. When i get a minute I will run some through my full length sizing die. Only way to know is carefully cut one in half length ways to see the thickness at the Base.

Happy loading Albert.

Edited by Albert 888