johnny stewart crow calling

quicksilver

cakie,

i know your post was aimed aim at Columbus Polumbus i have a few ideas that may be of interest. Although i havent actually got the tapes yet , the theory should be the same. I am planning on using a simple walkman to play the cassettes and divert the output through a 12volt amplifier. I bought a kit from a local Maplins store ( similar to RS components) for a 2 channel transmitter and receiver. I plan to use the remote control to switch the tape player on and off. The output from the amp will feed an outside PA speaker.

I am unsure as to go for the cd version of the crow calls or the tape. the reason being .

if the cd is made up from tracks i.e. track 1 "excited crow" track 2 "crow owl fight" etc etc then it would be possible to use the remote to skip to the next track on the cd. so if one track seemes to be making the birds wary it would be possible to try another call without leaving the hide.

regards

quicksilver

??? HI guys

I bought the crow cd and all so the cd speaker booster set up. It came in its own water proof bag . You still need a cd player or caset player but when its all set up in the bag you just unravel the speker wire set the speker out (about 15m of wire )and of you go its very loud not had time to give it a try yet, but i am now on the look out to see if you can get a fox cd.Anybody seen one <_<

i was looking for a site over the past couple of days that would have them in mp3 format for downloading. I wasnt able to find anywhere except a site called findsounds.com. It was featured in a tech page from a guy that had details about building his own e-caller. If you search for crow sounds you will get hundreds. I know it is not the same ones as on the disk but it might give you some idea

Not sure if gamecalls.net export outside the US anymore.

allpredatorcalls is also worth a look. Service from them is excellent, although it looks like international orders aren't as straightforward as they used to be.

Cabelas aren't the cheapest but they will export.

Link for a cheap homemade caller here

In fact the electronic caller forum at Predator Masters is a great source of information for anyone contemplating this sort of project. Although it sounds like some of you have already found it.

It is well worth doing a google search for fox/crow sounds. There are some quite good ones out there for free.

A word of warning to those of you contemplating calling crows, it is illegal to use a sound recording to call a bird in this country. I'm pretty sure that the Johnny Stewart tapes are recordings.

Q <_<

i remember reading a discussion i think on this board about the legality of the recordings. One member had phoned the basc for clarification and i think they said that vermin were ok but wildfowl and game couldnt be called with recordings. It would be nice to know the exact legality, so any one out there with the low down on recordings for crows and foxes please let us know

regards

quicksilver

Col Pol, I emailed the Wildlife Administration Unit at DEFRA for some clarification on this.

Reply:

The General Licence WLF18 enables persons to kill/take (for specified

reasons as listed) certain named species of 'pest' birds (including

crows/rooks) by shooting,trapping or by any other method not prohibited

under Section 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Please note however that Section 5, paragraph 1(d) of this Act states that

'' any person who uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any

wild bird, any sound recording or any live bird or other animal whatever

which is tethered, or which is secured by means of braces or other similar

appliances, or which is blind, maimed or injured, - shall be guilty of an

offence and liable to a special penalty''

So it seems that unfortunately sound recordings for birds are a no no.

Q <_<

Trying not to be too tight but is there anywhere on the web that we can download these tracks for free so at least we may sample them prior to sending to the US for them which may not be at all compatable for the UK.

You might want to take a look at this: Western Rivers free sounds

The sample clips are only three seconds long but when you download the full version they last for three minutes. The sound quality is comparable to the Johnny Stewart type tapes that would cost you $8.00 plus postage from the States.

Don't be put off by the titles of some of the sounds, have a listen before you right them off, they may still be useful over here. My favourite Johnny Stewart tape is the "Yellowhammer Woodpecker" :D I haven't got a clue what one is but it draws foxes.

Q :lol:

thanks Q, :D

i was able to download the crow sounds which let me test the e-caller that i had built. A tip if anyone is planning on using the sounds from the above site. In my e-caller i used a walkman as the player for the sounds, so the mp3 format from the western river site wouldn't be suitable for my player. I connected the ear phones socket of my computer into the microphone socket of my hi-fi and simply recorded the crow calls onto a normal tape. if you use windows media player then you can select repeat from the play menu and the track with loop around. This lets you record 60 minutes onto the tape from a 3 minute mp3 file. The sound quality turned out good but i need to find a more suitable speaker to build into the crow decoy.

thanks again quercus for the link. I will let you know how it worked after the weekend.

regards

quicksilver

Have you tried the American "E Bay" I have bought a number of items in the last month or two from the States. Especially since the exchange rate is so good. 1.86 dollars to the pound. It's easy to payfor if you use PayPal.

When you are interested in a product and they state will only post to the States. Drop them a message to tell them that you are interested in their product. I've not had one refusal yet. It takes about 10 days for items to arrive.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?q...01&BasicSearch=

hope this helps.

Elma

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pigeonbasher

regarding fox calling cds im! no expert but iv! recorded a cd on my computer

just by sqeeling using the back of ur hand method &playing it on a walkman type cd player (the typ joggers use) with a minature speaker attached all as one unit in acompact bag sounds very good tryd it other day "pulling magpies like magic"

never done any daytime fox calling but going to try it tommorow let u know how i get on