land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't posted on this thread before I don't think but regularly check it. What a cracking build and detailed thread Viking. From what I have seen and read so far there's some great and generous genuine members on here who have assisted in one way or another.

Can't wait to see it all built up and running but in a way I'm enjoying seeing it progress and don't want it to end for a while.

Best of luck with the rest of the build. Oh and don't start on a montessa 414. Mates did one 2 years back. Took him aaaaages to source the relevant parts he needed with the fuel tank coming from America and costing in excess of £500.

thanks TLWU, yes you are right, iv had tremendous help from members on here, iv had work done for free, parts/bits and bats sent for free, iv had offers of other things doing for free, and all off people who i dont even know, that just shows the kind of people who frequent this great forum (weirdos) :lol::lol::lol::good:

iv also had more advise than you can shake a stick at, step by step instructions, people have located parts for me that iv not been able to find, i dont want to gay it up to much but the help and support iv had has been nothing short of amazingdrinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gifdrinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif as i said in a previous thread, this has turned into a PW rebuild :good::good::good: a massive thanks to all so far, but you still have a fair bit to do, slackers :lol::lol::lol:

well as usual things didnt go to plan today, hours spent in the garage but hardly anything done, first i took the glass out of the windscreen and took the rubbish thin none sticky stuff that i originally got that kept falling out in places and replaced it with proper glazing sealant.

much better,

then i tried to put windscreen on by myself, bit of a struggle but managed to get it secure, but couldnt find any new hinge bolts that i should of had in my nut and bolt kit so had to dig out the old ones until i get some new ones, but im thinking due to paint getting in the threads the bolts wouldnt go in and felt like they were going to snap, so that ended up coming off,

then my mate came round to solder the couple of holes in the radiator, but it was still leaking so that and the front panel had to come off and radiator will have to go somewhere to be repaired properly,

then decided to tackle a job that couldnt go wrong, putting the prop shafts on, thankfully that went to plan, but at this time he noticed that one of the exhaust brackets id put on was in the wrong place so that had to come off and go further back just under the rear tub, more steps backwards.

so then we decided to have a go at putting the lower dash on, it went on ok ish but im not happy with it really as where it screws on down at the bottom under sreering wheel its a bit scratty, its not really seen but i know its there and it bugs me, we didnt get that finished as we need a new heater cable because the other was also scratty, then when trying the ignition in place we realised the fuel shut of/engine stop cable was not working properly so also had to order a new one of them too.also were missing a retaining bracket that goes on the heater control thing on the end of the dash.so all in all its not been a good day really, but i guess things were achieved

post-9513-0-95149400-1474229989_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-50806000-1474230002_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-10616100-1474230049_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-01498000-1474230056_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-36842200-1474230079_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-95879600-1474230086_thumb.jpg

have you aligned the propshafts to the arrows.....stamped on them ?

nope!! i some times think my mate knows what im doing, he just told me to put the prop shafts on, i will have to check tomorrow, not that there is much chance that iv happened to just get them right, more backwards steps, and im not even ,brahms and listdrinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

nope!! i some times think my mate knows what im doing, he just told me to put the prop shafts on, i will have to check tomorrow, not that there is much chance that iv happened to just get them right, more backwards steps, and im not even ,brahms and listdrinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

I have that many arrows on mine i cant get it wrong. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

well i took the prop off but couldnt find any arrows :hmm::hmm:

but if you were on about where the small bit went into the long bit, well it would only go in in one place so im guessing thats right.

better be as once again despite it only being a few nuts and bolts took me an hour on my back :good::good:

post-9513-0-81647400-1474317645_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-38472900-1474317667_thumb.jpg

secondly, anyone any idea what i can get this white stuff off with, tried brake cleaner, white spirits, looks of for a bit then dries back the same :no::no:

and i take it the black tabs pull out to rivet rubbers on, as they were riveted on when i got it, not that accounts for anything :lol::lol:

post-9513-0-87637700-1474394744_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-09039200-1474394890_thumb.jpg