Steel Shot Wad Problems

Not more or less slits Kent....... Slit to the base is the issue......... Factory loads are mainly half to 3/4 slit wads in steel loads[/quote

It's common practice to add slits or reduce slits to effect pattern in hand loaded shells

No doubt depth has an impact also

Spreaders can also be added inside the wad though I have never tried it myself they are available

So many factors why a wad might retain shot suffice to say it happens and represents another good reason to test shells in your gun and choke on a range and pattern board or plate before use

Depth of split is the most important thing. If they are not deep enough ,your wad will not open sufficiently and will not release its payload. Therefore you will end up with pellets in the wad

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't add slits to a factory cart can you Kent?! I'm saying the OP's issue is was slitting depth.......... Factory carts are not always slit deep enough, though some brands are better than others

Got you I was speaking in general on the subject. Might ne worth looking up tjr last tomr I mentionef this and got a right old load of it doesnt happen etc

I've made wad cutters for BSN Loading machines, mainly with a rotary dial feed, and it looks as if there may have been some sort of obstruction. If that happens and the dial feed fails to rotate there's the chance of the punches coming in contact with the dial and being knocked 'up' in the punch clamp. This then becomes a fault of the operator in not checking depth of the wad cut when restarting the machine.

I'd get in touch with the manufacturer.

Those wads are cut 'short'!

Edited by Paladin

I've made wad cutters for BSN Loading machines, mainly with a rotary dial feed, and it looks as if there may have been some sort of obstruction. If that happens and the dial feed fails to rotate there's the chance of the punches coming in contact with the dial and being knocked 'up' in the punch clamp. This then becomes a fault of the operator in not checking depth of the wad cut when restarting the machine.

I'd get in touch with the manufacturer.

Those wads are cut 'short'!

I had a reply from the manufacturer today asking for some info. The gun used, batch number and the pictures I've taken. The woman that got in touch was from the UK but said she would contact the factory and get back to me. I contacted them through the RC website I'll keep everyone posted as to what they reply.

2 3/4 Hope it's a batch problem because some of the kills were out at 60 or so yards which is better than I was expecting with steel shot. I've only been using it my last 5 outings or so.

Here is your trouble pricking birds. 60 yards is a long way for any cartridge lead or steel to produce clean kills. Keep your range down to 45 yards and you should not have any more problems.

Range witj steel is limitef by striking velocity more yhan pattern. It drops off a cliff within about a 5 yard Window, for this reason I draw the range in a bit more say 35 yards, it might well work at a propet 45 yards but I have yet to see a range fimder used on a passing duck! Hence my 35 might be another mans 55? You cant even pace it afterwards like you might with a rifle due to the hypotenuse brimg longer

Here is your trouble pricking birds. 60 yards is a long way for any cartridge lead or steel to produce clean kills. Keep your range down to 45 yards and you should not have any more problems.

Range witj steel is limitef by striking velocity more yhan pattern. It drops off a cliff within about a 5 yard Window, for this reason I draw the range in a bit more say 35 yards, it might well work at a propet 45 yards but I have yet to see a range fimder used on a passing duck! Hence my 35 might be another mans 55? You cant even pace it afterwards like you might with a rifle due to the hypotenuse brimg longer

The longer range birds I hit were more of an experiment on the day, just to see if it was possible and to my surprise it was. I took 3 shots at birds crossing the back of my decoy pattern and two were clean kills the other I missed. It was the birds over the decoys I was pricking and my furthest decoy from the hide is always 40 paces/yards p

On the diamond white again , a bit early in the morning don't you think !

If you were pricking the closer birds then it may be that you are just catching them with the edge of the patten. Steel will patten tighter and you get far fewer flyer pellets than lead and it takes a time to learn that you must shoot a little straighter with steel.

If you were pricking the closer birds then it may be that you are just catching them with the edge of the patten. Steel will patten tighter and you get far fewer flyer pellets than lead and it takes a time to learn that you must shoot a little straighter with steel.

Its very likely your right. I'd imagine the pattern is pretty poor though seen as its missing shot. I was out on Saturday and gave the cartridges another go. Aware of the issue now i kept an eye on the wads. No wonder i couldn't find many when i looked for them in the pattern when i found the problem originally. Most of the bloody things were traveling well over a 100yds.

Bit of an update, well sort of. Today I used Rd to start with again getting pricked birds used half a box I had left in my box then moved over to to Express Supreme Game, what a difference lots of clean killls and plenty of good distance klills too. The most noticeable difference was the falling wads though. Express fall like little parachutes and the Rc are shot and lost into the distance. I got through 2 boxes of Express and then back to the RC. Again back to pricked birds. I have some pick of the wads from both Express and Rc now and it confirms what others said previously about wad slots.