Steel Shot Wad Problems

Looks like I won't be using RC steel again. Seems they consider it ok to have shot left in the wad cup.

Dear Daniel

I have recieved the email below from RC for your information:

“considering that one of the peculiarities of steel is that it slows down its speed already in short distances like 30-35 m and that therefore it causes dead or injured animals to be bloody, the velocity is consistently increased compared to lead shots (while remaining within the CIP safety regulations). These speeds combined with a very hard material, such as steel, stress more the plastic wad, which needs to have far different characteristics from a wad containing lead:

- It must protect the gun barrel from steel pellets

- It does not have the shock absorber, which can cushion the excessive compression of the pellets

- Due to the law it must withstand -20 ° C, whilst a wad for lead does not endure a temperature inferior to -8 ° C without breaking

This implies that the plastic with which the B&P wad we use for steel shots is made is “gummy” and that, if the cartridges are shot in warm temperatures (even 10-15° C), it might happen that pellets might get stuck in the wad cup and leave signs on the fins.

Hope this is helpful to you”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be using a fair bit of RC steel in the early part of the wildfowling season. I may even pattern some. I will post of my findings.

It'll be interesting to see your results also the wads if you manage to retrieve any. I do now think that the wads are faulty like a guy mentioned somewhere above. Looking at the Express wad compared to the RC they're so similar in design other than the slits.

I will be using a fair bit of RC steel in the early part of the wildfowling season. I may even pattern some. I will post of my findings.

You have seen with you own eyes Both RC 32grm 4 shot and RC 36grm 3 shot steel shot cleanly killed Geese IF put in the right place.

Even on the Foreshore I use the RC 32grm 4 shot steel for Ducks.

I've shot hundreds of both cartridges and of yet never had a problem

You have seen with you own eyes Both RC 32grm 4 shot and RC 36grm 3 shot steel shot cleanly killed Geese IF put in the right place.

Even on the Foreshore I use the RC 32grm 4 shot steel for Ducks.

I've shot hundreds of both cartridges and of yet never had a problem

If you wouldn't mind sacrificing a cartridge. It it would behelpful to see a wad from one of yours.

Both the RC 36 gr and 34 gr are good killing shells , but I have had a problem with the 36 gr shells jamming in the exit port of my Browning S\A. Do not sent happen every time , but one in 3 or 4 shells jam. Never had any problems with any other brands of steel shells just the 36 gr RC. Pity because I realy like them and still have a dozen boxes in the gun cabnet.

Did you get them from Lyings on Massingham Motty? I went in today to stock up for the season and the only steel shells they had in 3 inch 12 bore were RC and only a few of them. They said they had just ordered some more steel , but god knows when they will come in.

Edited by anser2

Both the RC 36 gr and 34 gr are good killing shells , but I have had a problem with the 36 gr shells jamming in the exit port of my Browning S\A. Do not sent happen every time , but one in 3 or 4 shells jam. Never had any problems with any other brands of steel shells just the 36 gr RC. Pity because I realy like them and still have a dozen boxes in the gun cabnet.

Did you get them from Lyings on Massingham Motty? I went in today to stock up for the season and the only steel shells they had in 3 inch 12 bore were RC and only a few of them. They said they had just ordered some more steel , but god knows when they will come in.

Mine were from Wynstay.

Did you mean Lings , or were you being funny ?

Yeah, I bought a them from Lings a week or so ago. They had loads of the 36gm when I went in.

If you wouldn't mind sacrificing a cartridge. It it would behelpful to see a wad from one of yours.

Can't upload pictures RC 36grm steel has a B&P35 wad split 4 times but ONLY just under half way. Don't know what the wad is in RC 32grm steel but again split the same as the RC 36grm

Now that's a surprise to see for me I was convinced the wads in mine were faulty after seeing the Express wad and with what someone said in the above posts. Seems they maybe just don't go well with my gun or choke set up at the moment.Maybe you get the same issue in your guns but still get enough pellets in the right area to do the job. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures.

Edited by Dannydp

Now that's a surprise to see for me I was convinced the wads in mine were faulty after seeing the Express wad and with what someone said in the above posts. Seems they maybe just don't go well with my gun or choke set up at the moment.Maybe you get the same issue in your guns but still get enough pellets in the right area to do the job. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures.

No problem mate hope the pictures was of some help.

A cartridge I did stop using was 36grm Victory Steel due to quite a few had the WAD actually Crimped causing the Shot and WAD to go out like a Solid Slug.

A good friend of mine found this problem to

Edited by 6.5x55SE