Can someone please help me understand this choke?

Psyxologos

I was cleaning my Remington Versa Max today and removed the choke for cleaning, so I thought I have a look at the other chokes the gun came with as I did not remember what I had. I came across the choke in the picture, and I am now perplexed. The first thing I was told when I started using steel shot was that I should not use anything tighter than 1/2 choke. This choke though reads (as per picture) 'Remington Probore Full steel or lead'. If I take this literally, it means this is a full choke that can be used for steel too, but surely this cannot be the case. What am I missing/misinterpreting here? Many thanks!

post-13375-0-64088800-1445117394_thumb.jpg

There is no choke restriction on standard steel shot only HP steel.

So it is safe to shoot standard steel shot but not HP steel shot through it.

In the case of Beretta their optima full choke is compatible with steel and marked SP but it is not recommended in the manual due to it blowing the pattern with steel shot.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will sound like a complete noob, what is HP steel? I am using the 3 1/2 inch Winchester BlindSide and some regular 3 inch Chedite cartridges

I have a versamax , you can put steel through any of the chokes HP or otherwise , I have had 100s through mine from No3 to BBB with no ill effect.

that is very encouraging, many thanks for that. I shall give it a try.

HP = High performace basically faster and producing more pressure than standard steel loads anything in a 3" or 3.5 " case is likely to be HP .

The Blindside is HP , I would perhaps not risk it through the full to be honest as I have read some reports of the square shot getting jammed up , I do not rate the stuff anyway

HP = High performace basically faster and producing more pressure than standard steel loads anything in a 3" or 3.5 " case is likely to be HP .

The Blindside is HP , I would perhaps not risk it through the full to be honest as I have read some reports of the square shot getting jammed up , I do not rate the stuff anyway

Thanks for that. I will have a look what the other two chokes are then, and post here for some more information. Thanks again!