Flys first days beating.

spinach

Yesterday I took our 14 month old springer beating !!

Id asked the keeper who said sure.

I wondered and had concerns how she would act with all the noise, beaters, dogs, guns and not to mention pheasants as she is cautious of our chickens!!

The first drive has a long clearance of a triangle of trees and brambles so off came the leash and away she went flushing two birds straight away and then moving a couple out , she came came straight back and her stare was fixed on me . On the second drive I let her run to finnish off at the end and she once again came back. Not wanting to test fate I popped her in the van for the next two.

Amazing to see what is innate and what was taught ,she put me to shame!

Fantastic red letter day.

John.

First time out with a dog is always a memorable one :yes: . Sounds like she did you proud - well done :good:

My cocker decided to give chase to a small group of pheasants running down a hedge on her first time, first drive. If they'd have got up she'd have stopped, but even the 'brake' whistle wasn't going to stop her in the thrill of the shoot! She spent the next drive on a lead and the message must have sunk in because I let her run on the next one and she was fine. She's been a cracking gundog ever since.

She was 14 months at the time and now 3 1/2 years with a litter of pups under her belt. A few months and I'll be out with her son