Canon Powershot G10

Scully

Mate is selling this and I have the chance to buy it. He wants about 100 quid for it and looking online it's not a bad price. As with all his gear it's in immaculate condition.

I'm not a camera geek (wish I was) but can appreciate a good camera, and only use one to capture themes and ideas for artwork so I can't really justify the cost of anything expensive really, as I just need the capability of being able to point and shoot, and have given other compact Canon to daughter as she needs one for her studies at Uni'.

So, to all you PW camera aficionados, of whom I know there are many, what do you reckon...good camera or not?

Depending what you want to do with it, but as peck says, I think you can do better for the same price. The G10 is more than a few years old now. It is fine if you don't mind a slightly bigger camera and are taking still photos in good light. It is a good macro camera.

As a genera walkaround? I would get the S120 or similar first. High quality P&S, much smaller, same level of control generally. Better low light performance. The S series is canon's flagship P&S and are very good cameras.

thanks,

rick

The G10 is an excellent camera. If you have seen it then you will know what size it is, you don't need telling there are smaller cameras around. For 100quid its a great buy IMO. These cameras were well used by photojournalists in wartorn regions where carrying larger SLR bodies was a no go. They are capable of producing fantastic images in the right hand. They will shoot both Jpeg and RAW files if required. They are built to very good standard and to a much higher specification than most "compacts" around at the moment. Bear in mind it was never really aimed as a cheap point and shoot compact.

When I was doing photography professionally I purchased one of these as my preferred camera of choice for family holidays as taking larger pro bodies was becoming tiresome, I was never disappointed by the results of the camera. Clearly there are better options about at the moment, not for that money there isn't, go get your 100 quid and hand it over to your mate ;-)

Edited to add: isn't the S120 over 200quid? Bit like comparing apples and oranges?

Edited by m3vert

Many thanks all for the input. Have read some good things about the S120, but can't justify the price at over 200 quid, and miss not having a viewfinder ( which camera I gave daughter doesn't have, nor the S120 as far as I can tell ) as I find images hard to view on screen in bright sunlight.

In view of m3verts glowing report am going to plumb for the G10.

Appreciate your time gents. :good:

Edited by Scully