Diffierence between phosphor and payne galway brushes

Masterplan

I've just ordered some acetone from eBay to give this a try.

You've got the basis of Ed's Red there. Have a read up of the recipe online there are lots of variations on a theme and all you've got to do is to add oil to the acetone and you have a super cleaner. Stuff like the lanolin stops fingerprint rusting. All that is, is a bit of hand cream. From my experience it is cheap to make and very effective more so than expensive commercial cleaning fluids.

Have you heard or know of Ed's Red? If not type it into your browser.the ingredients are a mix of white spirit, tqf auto transmission oil, paraffin, acetone and lanolin. There are lots of variations to the mix. It is really cheap to make and effective.

I have also heard good reports of 'Ed's Red', though not used it myself

The galway payne brushes are very very good I use that with one part of the 3 piece wooden rod to scrub the chambers / forcing cone and just past then use the ordinary phosphor bronze to clean the full length. When I have crud I cant get off I clean with WD40 first then dry out by pushing kitchen roll through and finish with bisley solvent to remove any excess WD40 off, then finish with a lightly oiled mop works for me.

PS I have used light wire wool a couple of times also wrapped round the ordinary phosphor bronze brush.

I have seen a couple of folks on here say they have used a drill. Is that used with the thin alloy rods? Both my drills will not take the wooden rods.

Edited by Andra

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd drop back in to say that the spiral copper brush posted earlier in the thread is amazing! Barrels look better than ever.

If you have any issues with barrel fouling, I couldn't recommend this enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOSPHOR-BRONZE-SHOTGUN-CLEANING-BRUSH-LOOPED-12-bore-gauge-TURBO-TORNADO-/151877035992?hash=item235c93a7d8&clk_rvr_id=954777738389&rmvSB=true