BMW 1 series diesel

NorfolkAYA

Just be careful 1 series diesel mate they suffer failing and rattle timing chain problems can be found online if you have a quick Google mate had one started to make load rattling noise and his car only done 29000 miles he end up swapping it for a renault Megan rs

Bmw will repair if engine has faulty chain or guides FOC, just ring your nearest bmw with the vin number and they will tell you if you have an affected car and arrange a repair. The timing chain is on the back of the engine so its an engine out job. if its a high miler that your thinking of buying id negotiate a clutch as well?? Hope this is helpful

As crossy says.

The biggie with BMWs is the (in my opinion) stupidly long oil change interval. So when you did get poorer-quality timing chains, along with old oil that had done 18k miles, it correspondingly caused a lot of wear in the chain/guides. That wasn't a problem in the first 50-60k miles, but by the time these have reached 100k, things started to fail - and timing chains/guides, when they do fail, take out the engine.

So if you do get one, try to get one that has been over-serviced, every year / 10k if possible.

The same applies to a Golf - do be aware that the car you buy will almost certainly be subject to the recall next year. There has been talk from some owners of just ignoring the recall, as it's not known how much it's going to effect driveability / torque, etc. As such, DVLA have made it clear that if the recall isn't taken up in sufficient numbers, then they MIGHT make it mandatory - if your recall hasn't been done and entered onto the DVLA database, then your car won't be issued with an MOT, come testing time.

I'm also not a BMW/VAG hater. I've got a 325d tourer (had it 2 years), my wife had a 118d hatch for 5 years (never had a single thing go wrong with either) and I've owned a number of VW / Audi cars over the years.