Multi Tool

Chris Bb

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, Leatherman are quality. Gerber seem to have good designs but appear to be let down by build quality, the rest are only fit for Christmas crackers.

But, Leatherman don't seem to make a "domestic" tool, they're all a bit OTT or lacking.

So, what do I (we) want for around the house everyday duties?

4" folded size.

Knife, one or two (plain and serrated), non locking for UK use, definitely. Best accessible without having to open the entire tool.

Pliers, as they are, definitely. With springs? Perhaps.

File, not really.

Saw, not really.

Scissors, yes, very useful although I believe that newer design is not as good as the old.

Screwdrivers, flat & cross head, yes but put them somewhere where they can actually be used to turn screws! The spare blade carrier (Skeletool) seems a good option.

Screwdrivers, precision (glasses), about as much use a chocolate teapot, no.

Bottle/tin opener/carabiner, perhaps but not at the expense of other, more useful, tools.

Belt clip and/or lanyard ring, possible, nice to have if it/they don't get in the way.

So, that's my first stab at the "Pigeon Watch standard tool", any other ideas?

Agreed, Leatherman are quality. Gerber seem to have good designs but appear to be let down by build quality, the rest are only fit for Christmas crackers.

Gerber surprised me. I bought a Leatherman Crunch second-hand for a steal at £30. The guy was also trying to sell me a Gerber suspension for £20. At the time, Amazon were selling the suspension for around £14. I tried the Gerber and was positive that it was worth more than that so bought both. DOH. The Gerber is pretty good quality, isn't as refined as the leatherman, but perfectly usable.

The leatherman is a work of art.

Have a leatherman in my bike pack which does get used regularly to destone and denail my tyres ,would a officer see this use as reasonable cause for having one i'll ask next week.Dont think i'd get away with my Gerber Gator 15 inch though!

Remember the good reason would need to be for having the knife not the pliers or other tools presuming it is either over 3 inch blade, or locking which I believe all leathermans do

Remember the good reason would need to be for having the knife not the pliers or other tools presuming it is eith iner over 3 inch blade, or locking which I believe all leathermans do

Agreed, but i think a proportion of common sense has to be applied and passing the police "attitude test "at the start of any encounter always helps,