Potential colitis in pup

ghosthunter

Ive got a young lab which has had a problem ever since I got her just under 4 weeks ago. The breeder said she had been de-flea'd and wormed (the lab that is :) ) but she has had spot on advocate 2 weeks ago along with a milnemax (spelling?) tablet yesterday to ensure worming is done properly.

She is full of life and terrorises my older rottie. Gums are nice colour, drinking and eating well. In fact she is a bottomless pit which I'm told is normal for a lab and smashes her food down almost absorbing it through her eyes it goes down that fast.

She only has one major problem and that's since I got her just under 4 weeks ago she has had loose stools with occasional blood at the end. I'm guessing colitis from what I can find out but the vet doesn't seem overly worried? We've gone through a tube of canikur (15ml) which helped but went back to normal once we ran out of it. Having her second injection the other day didn't help either. If she isn't any better once we get through the next tube of canikur then its poop sample to the vets time.

She is just under 12 weeks old at 5KG (runt of litter) and is on 180g of food per day spread over 4 feeds (ive cut it back from 220g in case it was overfeeding on a new food (arden grange large breed puppy food).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what fixed it for you? I suggested going usual chicken and rice bland diet but vet didnt seem to think it would help and just suggested cutting down on regular food by 1/3 for a couple of days to see if it helped but it didnt (back on canikur now).

Had similar which turned out to be Giardia , evident in sample.

Samples have to be taken over 3 days to ensure the complete infestation cycle is covered. It can be treated with a course of Pancur.

Also be aware of possible food allergy, chicken is a common problem. I ended up using a lamb based diet to avoid the problem.

Oh that quite often happens with a change of diet and home in a pup. Don't worry too much, it'll more than likely clear up given time. Also it's worth noting that Milbemax doesn't agree with all labs, I don't know why.

Of course if you're worried pop her to your vets to make sure there's nothing else untoward going on :)

Edited by bigbird

Thinking on I was told recently not to do Advocate and Milbemax in close conjunction whereas Advocate and Drontal is ok...

Vet advised a 14 day gap between them..... thankfully she has been ok on milbemax, at least no worse than usual. Its only been a few days since she had her second jab too which they didnt want to do while she had this loose stool problem but it was the last day. Seems to be starting to harden slowly now after 2 days on canikur pro...

Ive only had rescue dogs in the past and this is my first pup.

Price of pups plus vets fees so far from a worried "new dog daddy"... my horses are starting to seem cheap to run in comparison lol

I had a similar problem with a pup. Went down the bland diet and kaolin based pastes route which made the situation slightly better, but didn't stop the scouring. Eventually given a course of antibiotics which cleared up the problem. Had it not worked the next step was to have been stool samples. Six months later at a gundog training class I met someone who had bought the litter sister. He had had the same issues but he opted for the stool samples. His bitch was diagnosed with Campylobacter, the same antibiotics had cured it. Vets can be expensive but be guided by them.