ultrafire batteries

Bewsher500

Firstly don't get ultrafire, or anything else with -fire in the title. If they are 18650's then Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, nitecore are all good. I have been using old laptop batteries which are all good makes and have been faultless, but you need a decent charger, not a cheapo balance charger.

Firstly don't get ultrafire, or anything else with -fire in the title. If they are 18650's then Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, nitecore are all good. I have been using old laptop batteries which are all good makes and have been faultless, but you need a decent charger, not a cheapo balance charger.

+1

Laptop batteries are plentiful if you know anyone that is scrapping on old or outdated one. And may cost nothing. I always charge mine while at home, never leave alone.

its 18650 I am after

i have a charger that came with a cheap torch so suspect it falls in the **** category!

what makes a good charger?

laptop batteries seem to be the things that fail before the laptops, does that not make them a liability if you use them as a source?

Usually it's only one battery that fails, all of the others are going to be fine. They will also usually have a much higher mAh than new ****fire type, no matter what they claim on the outside.

A cheap balance charger is fine for protected cells (which have an overcharge protection circuit) but li-ions can become unstable and potentially explode, so I'd rather spend a bit more on an intelligent charge, like the nitecore D4, and charge unprotected cells too - plus they charge AA, AAA, D, C, 123, alkali etc, etc.