Recommend me a knife sharpener

ElvisThePelvis

I also had a Spyderco Tri-Angle set. It really worked for me. I paid about £50 for it years ago but i found it quick, easy and stress-free (something that I have not found to be the case with other sharpening methods). The bloody thing is somewhere is Karachi now so all my knives are making do with a cheap (and crappy) Kitchen-Devils - you get what you pay for.

That said the response for Lansky has been so strong on here that I will definitely be giving them a look!

Spyderco and lansky systems do work but if you have more than one knife to sharpen (and often) then life is just too short for that level of fannying about.

Because the wife seems to like chopping everything straight off a worktop or on a glass chopping board I like to rinse all the knives quickly through a sharpener / honer every 2 weeks.

If you really must use a draw-through carbide sharpener, which gives a rough edge quickly, a ceramic rod used like a butcher's steel will refine that rough edge quickly, into a finer, longer lasting edge.

Alternatively, a bit of wetndry, 600, 800, or 1000 grit, from a car parts shop, laid onto a newspaper so it's got a bit of give, and strop the blade 20 or 30 times, and you'll have a reasonably polished edge that will shave hair and last much longer.

Been using a Norton IB8 stone for a few years now with good results.

Really hate spending any amount of time sharpening, this works quickly and effectively. If I want to go to town knocking off the burr for edge retention I,ll use a ceramic stone, car window, bottom of a mug etc, much quicker than stropping.

Spyderco and lansky systems do work but if you have more than one knife to sharpen (and often) then life is just too short for that level of fannying about.

Because the wife seems to like chopping everything straight off a worktop or on a glass chopping board I like to rinse all the knives quickly through a sharpener / honer every 2 weeks.

Come on, show us the daddy of sharpeners again, I've forgotten what to ask for for Christmas. Edited by mick miller

It's the F D icke Duo - one side is diamond grinding wheels and the other ceramic for honing.

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/****.htm

It's the knife sharpener you can leave to your children :lol:

Saying that, if you're going to get the use out of it or you are OCD about blunt knives, then over a lifetimes use you can just about justify it.

Edited by Mungler