Which NV

bbjunkie

NV kit appears to be a right minefield at first glance.

I am considering investing in night vision kit to allow me to go after various quarry after dark. I would also like to use it in a head mount and/or connected to a camera for the purpose of photographing/videoing badgers and foxes which are in the area.

Any suggestions on good kit? Is GEN2 much better than GEN1?

My budget would be max £600

Pete

It is a minefield, there is so much kit out there.

In brief, yes, even bad gen2 tubes are way better than good gen1 tubes.

The main advantage you have is resolution (more detail) and recognition at longer ranges.

Rough rule of thumb with good gen1 monocular (with good IR source) spot a fox to about 60 yds, spot his eyes out to about 170. Gen2 you'd be able to see him clearly out to over 100yds

The yukon nvmt II is a good gen1 monocular which there are head mounts and camera attachments for as accessories. Under your budget too. About £275 + £45 (cam adapter) + £125 (head mount).

The thing with NV is beg borrow steal whatever but USE ONE FIRST Most people sell NV kit not because its rubbish, but because they had unrealistic expectations of it.

Get or make yourself a good infra-red source, it makes all the difference

there are a few members on BBS with a Night vision attachment that attaches to the back of a day scope to convert it to nv so it saves having to re-zero everytime (unless you have got a dedicated rifle). It is a digital unit and from what I have heard/seen the unit is amazing and nigh-on Gen 2 quality.

Check out this sight - http://www.gbsights.co.uk/digital.htm

It is a little over you budget at £650. I know its what I am getting when I can afford it ?????????

Thanks Guys for all the info!

Cyber - Yes, I saw that one last night when I was on the bbs - it caught my attention, think I will throw another few pounds into the kitty to make it up to the £699 that Dogfox sells them for.

Just gotta bring myself to spend that money... i've emailed the company to ask if there is a distributor over here in N.Ireland that would be willing to demo one as I dont want to spend just short of 700 quid on something I havent been able to see working before.

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

definately. From what I have already heard from people who have owned/used gen 2 scopes, the digital unit is supposed to have the same quality as a good gen 2 so it should be fantastic. I should definately be able to use it on a .17HMR or .22lr when I apply for my FAC.

Can't wait for it to come lol :lol::lol::lol:

Nv1 is generally pretty poor imo. I used it for a while on my old pcp set up but wasnt impressed. Probably spoilt from using CWS :oops: if i ever try nv again on the 22lr/17hmr it will be with gen2 minimum. But its the cost that puts me off..

Thats just it. I have payed £700 for this digital unit and everyone that has used it says in comparison to gen 2 they think that it is better than some and on par with others so basically this is a gen2 set up for half the price. There is a guy I know who has a gen2 and he has offered to take me on one of his shoots to compare when I recieve mine (was posted today!!)

I will keep you updated (oh and as far as i'm aware, you can even plug a digital camera into the unit and take night vision pictures or even record footage through it. Should be able to get some decent rat/rabbit footage! :good::oops::lol:

Well, I got the NV today and it is AWESOME to say the least. Haven't tried it at night yet but tried it in a pitch black room (can't even see an inch in front of you) and with the NV it is like looking at everything with the sun shining!! the clarity is absolutely amazing as I was expecting it to be a bit glitchy with it being digital but it is fantastic!! Cant wait to try it out tonight!!!!!! :good::lol::oops::oops::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

a cheaper alternative is to get yourself a decent nv monocular, the clearest you can afford either headmount it or devise a gun mount--only on recoilless rifles , as recoiling guns can wheck the scope against your eye brow/ (you have to put your eye right to the exit pupil) then when all thats done simply use a lazer as the aim point,, the scope will pick it up no problem, and its cheaper than a scope you may not be happy with.