Snowdon

craftycarper

If it were me I would not bother with Snowdon. Train cafe and motorways to the top?

Almost any of the other mountains will be quieter and have more mountain feel than Snowdon.

i take your point about the crowds. I tend to do it either really late and bivvy up the top, or go for sunrise at the top. It's then empty of all except the few climbers who want to appreciate the mountain's peace. A couple of snaps from different trips over the years...

post-26888-0-42320000-1459673348_thumb.jpg

post-26888-0-88543800-1459673359_thumb.jpg

We were due to do a circular route around kinder scout today

Thats a great walk,,so many different ways of doing it,great views,wildlife and its not too hard unless you prefer to ascend via Grindsbrook.

Definitely a must do if you live anywhere near,and less strenuous if you are intimidated by the 3000+ ft ers.

For the last two years I have attempted the Welsh 3000s - all 14 or 15 (depending on how you count them) Welsh 3000ft+ mountains in 24 hours. Both times we camped on Snowdon Summit for a 3:30 AM start. In 2013 it was an awesome sunrise with little wind but due to a mates injury we bailed later in the day. Last year it was a horrendous night with zero kip and two of us had head torches blown off on Snowdon summit the wind was that strong as we set off. The wind dropped just enough by sunrise for us to descend via Crib Goch. We managed to complete it though!

For the last two years I have attempted the Welsh 3000s - all 14 or 15 (depending on how you count them) Welsh 3000ft+ mountains in 24 hours. Both times we camped on Snowdon Summit for a 3:30 AM start. In 2013 it was an awesome sunrise with little wind but due to a mates injury we bailed later in the day. Last year it was a horrendous night with zero kip and two of us had head torches blown off on Snowdon summit the wind was that strong as we set off. The wind dropped just enough by sunrise for us to descend via Crib Goch. We managed to complete it though!

haha, when was it last year? I seem to remember I was up there overnight when a fair few were doing the 3000 and the weather was vile. 20th June or something I think?