cases not ejecting advice please

I homeload for my 223 and sometimes the empty doesnt eject and needs a rod to remove it ,most times ok but today i fired a round ejected fine second wouldnt eject both same cases same load ect , loads are

winchester case full sized

23.5 grns reloader7

cci 400 primer

50 grn hornday bt

crimped head

coal 2250

av 3435 high 3500fps

no signs i can see primer is still ok head still measures same as unfired casei put 20 rounds through the chrono and that was measured fps being running reloader 7 for couple years was thinking maybe cases are getting bit worn been reloaded 4 times so are forming more if thats possible ,

Lyman's 49th Ed gives 24.1gr max load for 3330fps and a starting load of 21.7gr. I've found Lyman's load data to be a bit on the hot side mind for some loads. 21.5 sounds more like a start load than a max load. Nostler list a max load of 23.5gr for a 50gr projectile and Sierra 5th Ed list 24gr as absolute max.

What was your COAL and how far off Lands were you? Are you FL sizing or neck sizing? If FL sizing have you checked your headspace to ensure you're not over-stressing the brass?

Over-pressure signs may include hard to eject cases but other signs ought to be visible too if it is a high pressure issue.

At 4 times with a hot load, you'll more than likely need to be trimming the brass back and it will be work-hardening, not flowing or softening. Any signs of powder fouling getting over the external of the cases from the neck down? I'd FL size to just bump shoulders back a few thou, check case thickness at cart head/web area and if ok, try that. Not worth your neck or the rifle's integrity if you're loading hot and cases aren't to spec. I'm no expert, only been at it a short while myself but I'd be a bit concerned if cases were jamming like that.

Edited by Savhmr

hi all my cases are fl resized ithen trimmed to 1.750" coal is 2.250" which is down to cannelure ive used 23.5 for last couple years with 50 grn heads but have just started crimping them would this increase pressure a bit , checking cases shows slight powder fouling on external of neck ,thing is also most rounds eject normally would of thought all would fail to eject

Edited by remmy1100

Crimping can indeed raise pressures. I wouldn't crimp a hot load unless I'd ladder tested from low loads up to that load and used crimping for the lower loads, stopping where pressure signs become evident. If the issues coincide with you starting to crimp rounds, then there's your likely answer. FL resizing will give sufficient neck tension for seating the bullet. Crimping I'd have thought only necessary if using self loafing rifles in which ammo can get rattled about pretty fiercely. I've read tales of crimping being fashionable amongst bench rest shooters for neck tension consistency but they likely build up to the load using crimps. Have a go at reloads without the crimp and see what happens. Some fouling around the neck I think is normal. As Ed says, some piccies would be good.

Edited by Savhmr

post up some pictures of the cases

particularly the neck and head

what is the rifle and what does the ejector look like?

How hard are you having to hit them with the rod to get them out? noticeable force or just a push?

couldnt put pics up here have posted couple in sporting pics

its howa 1500 the ejector looks fine as stated doesnt fail to eject all rounds just some and there all same load

just takes little push with the rod

I homeload for my 223 and sometimes the empty doesnt eject and needs a rod to remove it ,most times ok but today i fired a round ejected fine second wouldnt eject both same cases same load ect , loads are

winchester case full sized

23.5 grns reloader7

cci 400 primer

50 grn hornday bt

crimped head

coal 2250

av 3435 high 3500fps

cases_zpsxyyc0eyc.png

Edited by fenboy

Clean the chamber. you may have a carbon ring in there that's holding the cartridge back

all the brass looks fine from what i can see on the photos. clean the extractor hook and the all the pin, bolt.

Only thing i can see strange is the dimple not centered on the primer when sort of says the case is sloppy in the bolt head and its not hooking up every time on the extractor claw. a measurement across bolt face and head or cartridge would confirm this

Yep strip and clean bolt, I can see you've had the extractor claw out but try a bronz brush to check but the claw and the groove in the bolt is clean, no hardened deposits, whilst you're at it remove the spring and plunger, same cleaning wise for them two, then clean chamber.

Buy some factory rounds and put them through it, if all is ok but the problem persists with your home loads then the problem lies with either the brass or the load

Edited by Paul223

What made you decide to crimp the case?

Have you tried not opening the bolt for a minute to see if the case releases any better?

It might sound daft, as it would be hard to tell if it was stuck or not, but I had a stuck case twice on a hot load (different rounds in the same batch). I found that if I left the bolt closed for a little while it came out as normal.

IME Winchester brass is soft. If they have been reloaded a few times it may be that the rims are worn.

After nine reloads I started to loose Winchester cases after every cleaning. The FC brass I also use is still going strong after many more reloads.

Run the figures through 'Quickload' and with 23.5grns Reloader 7 with 50 grn bullet and coal of 2.250" its giving a max chamber pressure of 66870psi, Sammi is 55000psi so you will be showing signs of overpressure. Quickload can be a bit on the conservative side and modern firearms are tested above sammi figures but be careful and use up to date reloading data.

update: cleaned rifle ,camber ,bolt ect checked with bore scope was spotless ,went to my zeroing ground firstly put some of the 23.5 rounds through out of 20 rounds 6 stuck they were also all over the target ,then i put 3 of each 23grn 23.2 grn ,23.4 grn all uncrimped rounds through non failed to eject and grouped nicely, the problem may well of been a hot load as my lee beam scale has been reading under checked it against a digital scale reading true put 50 grn weight on was spot on .a few 23.5 grn powder measures off lee scale were reading 26-28 grns on digital scale so its safe to say the loads that were fired were within this scale. all the 23,/23.2/23.4 powder measures were triple checked ,so high load and crimp have caused my issues.... on plus side zeroed my new cz 512 semi auto and straight out box put 5 shots into sub 1" group at 50 yds trigger tad heavy but nice handling gun