permission wanted within 50miles of chesterfield

not meaning this funny but if your getting knocked back every time are you putting out a good image as well as attitude ?i used to ride a harley and had a skin head lol people where very wary of me at first when i went out quoting.bought a landrover and first impression was a world apart

We have had them turn up in trackie bottoms a hoodie pulled up in their corsa with music blaring out and wonder why we say no lol.

Dress appropriate be polite and if they say no that don't mean never I have heard of people getting knocked back the gaining permission from same place later,

Colin

Land is hard to come by at the best of times, I think that being armed with "only" an Airgun will put off the vast majority of Landowners before you start. If you find someone with a serious pest problem then there is good chance that they will have been contacted by several shooters who have Shotguns or Rifles that will clear vermin far quicker than the humble Airgun.....Farmers tend to be "old fashioned" as well in the way they perceive Airguns.

A good air rifle is a very capable tool with a good man behind the trigger out to 50 yards sub 12 that is, assuming your after rabbits u need good field craft to get in range of a shot, u use my sub 12 pcp round buildings, great tool where any more power would be too much, in a field I don't have a rifle myself but I'd grab the shotgun every time over the air rifle, maybe worth trying livestock farms for ratting around yards, get a step on the ladder

Land is hard to come by at the best of times, I think that being armed with "only" an Airgun will put off the vast majority of Landowners before you start. If you find someone with a serious pest problem then there is good chance that they will have been contacted by several shooters who have Shotguns or Rifles that will clear vermin far quicker than the humble Airgun.....Farmers tend to be "old fashioned" as well in the way they perceive Airguns.

This is very true if we have a field with a pigeon problem then we would turn to the shot gun user long before the air gunner sad but true, same with rabbit's you come armed with a rim fire and you jump the queue

Colin

Some people think that all farmers are able to give permission to shoot on their land. A lot of farmers rent out the shooting rights or are tenants and only hold the cultivation rights. Neither of these can give someone permission to shoot on the land they cultivate.

There is some good advice on this thread. Personal appearance goes a long way to projecting your image to farmers. Dress how they do; i.e. cords and Tattershall check shirts rather than tracksuit bottoms and T-shirts. An air gunner is always going to be bottom of the queue when the land is being ravaged with pigeons. Better off looking for pig farms and doing a bit of ratting or pastures plagued by rabbits. Or look at a cereal farm and see whether they have problems with rats or feral pigeons around the silos. Farmers talk to each other and if you are reliable and doing a good job doors will start to open.

The main thing is that really grates me is the attitude that the shooter is doing the farmer a favour and therefore should be welcomed with open arms. Its a two-way thing. They haven't got an obligation to let anyone who wants a bit of shooting onto their land.