fox callers

hodge911

Along with the diffrent caller , as said they all have there use , but how many lads put bait out , say on the edge of a wood ect

And what do you use ?

Atb

One of the farms I look after leaves a dead ewe out for a few days, if anything starts pulling at the carcass I pop out and try and deal with the culprit (as long as its a fox and not one of the farm dogs).

Along with the diffrent caller , as said they all have there use , but how many lads put bait out , say on the edge of a wood ect

And what do you use ?

Atb

I spray horse hoof 'bait' where I want the Fox to come in. It works well, especially when used with an electronic caller. I also use bait, caller and rockin' rabbit decoy occasionally, more so when after young cubs.

Steve this horse hoff bait is it home made or can you buy it ?

( most likely not if it smell that bad ) , lol

Atb

Dave

It's made, Dave. And it really stinks. Easy to make.

You need some horse hoof clippings which are then boiled in water. (outdoors!) The liquid is kept in plastic containers, and the longer it's kept, the stronger the smell, especially if kept in direct sunlight (?) which is rare where I live.

You can just put clippings in cold water, but it takes longer to get the desired result.

Once made up, I usually spray an area where I want the Fox to come into. It does work, although there has to be a Fox in the vicinity. Another way of doing it is to pour some of the liquid onto old rags, and keep them in an airtight container. Place the container on the ground and just take the lid off.

This idea came from Canada, where it's used to attract Bobcats.

Most Farriers are happy to keep you some clippings. I have a bag full ready to be made up for next year.

Any questions, just ask.