vermin

roadkill

could someone point in the right direction on these two questions I have?

I have been given some land to shoot on to help out a friend who runs 5 fishing ponds there are a few pigeons that roost in his trees and quite a few crows .... But his biggest pest he haves are the Turn gulls and cormarants , Now what I want to know is are these classed as vermin and can you shoot them I have not found much information on it .

Some sites say you can apply for a licence to shoot them or you can just scare them with the bang of ur gun ... Where do I stand and do I need a licence if so where from

cheers roadkill

Defra for the Cormorants. When they visit the property the fishery owner will have to show that they have taking scare/diversion tactics as far as possible.

LB

so I will just use scare tactics on them I have a blank firer . What about the turn gulls?

Turn gulls?:lol: Do you mean Terns?

Completely protected and I can see no circumstances where a permit would be granted to control them.

As they feed only on very small fish I struggle to see what damage they could be doing on a fishery. What next, will he be wanting you to shoot kingfishers because, well, they eat fish don't they? :good:

As for comorants, I've heard it is quite straight easy to get a permit to cull them when they are damaging fish stocks.

Yep both protected species BUT the pond owner should be able to get a license to cull the cormorants providing he can prove the damage/health risk. No licence will be granted for the Terns as they won't be doing any damage and most likely don't constitute a health hazard. IF on the other hand the 'gulls' are of a different type then shooting might be quite legal under the title 'vermin'

See here http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...ences/WLF18.pdf