Bipods on springers

desperado

OK after Benny's proof (in the Sporting Pictures section) that a bipod definitely works for him on a springer what is everyone else's EXPERIENCE. Not so much interested in what people have heard about bipods on springers, more interested in hearing from ppl who have actually tried it themselves or had a shot of someone else's.

I've searched the forum and there seems to be lots of opinions that bipods dont work but Benny's pics say otherwise.

cheers :good:

desperado

You should try Snakebite as I know he used the clip on type with his springer. Before the days of theories and understanding, yes as a school kid, I consistently shot my old BSA Meteor from a hard rest. (normally a window sill). I never had a problem with grouping, rigged up an old bicycle bell 30 yards ish down the garden and used to hit consistantly with iron sights.

I know that most people though, would suggest a soft rest for a springer even when prone.

There was an article in one of the comics a year or so back where someone did have joy with a bi-pod on a spriger to some degree. I think (from memory so please double check!) that the secret is to LIGHTLY rest on the bi-pod to steady your aim and not rest fully on it.

I had a clip on type that I used to keep the gun pointing in the right direction when laying up, when i took a shot it was lifted up from the ground.

The best thing you can do is to try for yourself, if it works for you then good. If not well at least you can say you tried and at the end of the day it is all good practice isn't it?

If I shoot my gas ram gun off a hard rest the POI is 2" at about 30yds higher than if I hold it in my hands. The lack of recoil absorption definitely makes a difference. I would like to try a bipod though, can anyone recommend a make for use with a springer.

• 1 month later...

the trick is to set the sight useing the pod so when you use the gun you know it will work,, on some guns like the 48b that came with a bipod years ago i couldnt hit stink i put it down to balance off the gun the 48 and 52 was front heavy any how .. but with a more ballanced rifle should give better results,,