1st car accident (not my fault)

Guest fred101

Guest rabo

I was coming up to T junction this morning turning right,a car drove straight out the guy never looked left once,the front wheel of my car drove well in i got it home ok but it,s not driveable,the guy has admitted responsability no probs,his insurance company is fixing my car hire car etc. do i insist on or have to get original parts my car is still under warranty for 1year :blink:.thanks for any help

Guest rabo

thanks VS29 :blink: ,his insurance com.has already got on to me and said the job would be done rite,can i insist they fix the car at a garage of my choosing,or do i have to go along with whoever the ins com choose

You say you drove it home ok, but that's it's not drive'able...personally I wouldn't have taken the risk of being pulled over by the police for driving an unroadworthy car - just for future reference. :blink:

I was once told that being a good driver isn't about how many accidents you've had that weren't you fault (i.e. you've had accidents that were the other persons fault), but how many accidents you've avoided. :lol: You continually learn to read other people's driving (particularly when riding motorbikes!) and anticipate the stupid things that they do.

Glad to hear that both parties are OK though. Get your car repaired properly where you want it, otherwise you'll always look at it thinking it's not quite right. :blink:

You don't have to go along with their recommended garage, but it may take longer as they'll want quotes/info from your garage.

If it's still under warranty insist that the repair maintains that warranty, ie main dealer repair.

Even though he's admitted responsibility did you have any witnesses to that? I've had someone hit me and blabber it was all their fault to later change their story when they calmed down (well, in this case the birds hubby told her to deny saying it).

I was coming up to T junction this morning turning right,a car drove straight out the guy never looked left once,the front wheel of my car drove well in i got it home ok but it,s not driveable,the guy has admitted responsability no probs,his insurance company is fixing my car hire car etc. do i insist on or have to get original parts my car is still under warranty for 1year :blink:.thanks for any help

Hi you dont say what make of car but if I were you I would insist that my car was repaired by a main dealership, as its not your fault and your not paying for it the cost is of no consequence.

A main dealer will warrant their repairs to a higher standard that independant bodyshops cannot, if rust appears later, paint colour isnt matched, or a body panel is not aligned correctly you have a redress with a maindealer.

As already mentioned dont be persuaded to go to a backstreet repairer or to accept a sum of money in settlement its suprising how what appears to be a simple bonnet repair becomes a complete front end when its stripped down, too many young people get ripped off through inexperience, good luck.

:blink: D2D

Guest rabo

thanks lads for the help, :blink: going to have fixed were i choose (main dealer),didnt know i could do that,thought i had to go where they said,it,s my first hopes it,s my last,thank god no one was hurt.

what car

i had a nearly identicle crash last friday, i chose to write off my car as they offered me good money for it. (or they will soon)

witnesses and pictures are all good. Who is your insurer, get onto their liability dept. get your story in first.

Sorry to hear about your crash rabo , just insist on getting your car fixed to a standard you are happy with.

make sure he pays the excess on your insurance.

Someone hit me from behind years ago , he admitted responsibility, and my car was taken to the garage to be repaired. I got a phone call from a mate at the garage saying the lad who hit me's dad is a cop and has been round checking your car tyres and asking loads of questions about you. I had a witness to that crash. So really if you have a witness , they wont be able to change their story when they have had time to think about it.

Guest rabo

I have a witness a taxi driver who new me stopped and said if i needed him to give him a shout, fair play to him :blink: his insurance is sortin it out he has already sorted it out with them,so i dont have to pay excess

cheers hitman :blink: at the moment his insurance is sortin it,but that could all change when i demand that they use a main dealer

they may well want to use one of their own aprooved repair centres for a quote and then give you the money they quoted to spend on the car at another garage.

Sometimes your insurance company will pay for the repair , then bill his insurance company for the money, which means you are making a claim.

so make sure your excess is passed on to him. :blink:

Others may be able to confirm this but If you successfully reclaim your excess from the third party then your insurance cannot hold you liable and load your premium next renewal. :lol:

When you shop around for quotes all insurance companies will all ask if you have had any fault claims, and if you were repaid your excess or didnt have to pay any excess then you can truthfully answer NO and save a packet. This becomes vital after the first year as NCD builds up and the discount grows. :lol:

If you have not already taken out Legal Protection with your motor insurance its a good thing to have as not all claims are as simple as this, and for what it costs, less than £20 its good value and peace of mind. :no:

thanks VS29 :blink: ,his insurance com.has already got on to me and said the job would be done rite,can i insist they fix the car at a garage of my choosing,or do i have to go along with whoever the ins com choose

let the insurers do the job they don't employ cowboys. also if the repair goes wrong which it shouldn't you would have a legal come back, by using your own garage the onus would be on you.

let the insurers do the job they don't employ cowboys. also if the repair goes wrong which it shouldn't you would have a legal come back, by using your own garage the onus would be on you.

in most cases your repairs are under warrenty for 1 or 3 years, so they should be good :blink:

Guest rabo

Well that,s the first thing i said to the wife surely they,ll have a good garage to do the job rite,the ins com.are ROYAL SUN ALLIANCE,I spoke to my ins com last nite they said don,t worry about the warranty who ever fixs it it,s still covered,

I have protected bonus have done for years and always will you never know,been drivin 14 years this is first time havin to deal with ins comp.

Sorry Rabo, for some reason got the impression you were a youngster (no profile info) but maybe the advice and information will help our youger members without them having to find out the hard way..... :blink:

Guest rabo

I have protected bonus have done for years and always will you never know,been drivin 14 years this is first time havin to deal with ins comp.

Sorry Rabo, for some reason got the impression you were a youngster (no profile info) but maybe the advice and information will help our youger members without them having to find out the hard way..... :blink:

youngster at heart :lol: big 40 next year.

Guest rabo

just to say lads got the car sorted 100% got it back friday morn.new suspension strut, wishbone, wing, tyre,and they even touched up a big scrap on the other side of the car nothing to do with accident,thanks for the help everyone :stupid: