William ford BLNE

Jay_Russell

I've been in half a mind about buying an English SbS. I have stumbled Accross the above with 25inch barrels, have owned an AYA xxv in the past and appreciate the virtues of shoter barrels. The william ford looks to be a sleeper. Perfect bores perfect bluing and lovely wood. Tbc but looks to be a 1930's gun. I coukd pick it up for around the 400 mark. Woukd this sound like a reasonable price? The comb is a little low for a perfect fit but it's a lovely looking boxlock and I'm sure I coukd get it adjusted to fit me.

What do you chap's in the know think?

Edited by Jay_Russell

Point out that not many like short barrels and everyone for some reason prefers ejectors and O/Us and therefore he migt have difficulty shifting it. Then say as it's not multi choke he could really have a problem and ask if he'd consider reducing the price as a consequence. When he does, take his hand off at the elbow. However, just bear in mind the cost of any repair work that might become necessary.

£400 is a reasonable price if the gun is in good overall condition . Barrel length is a choice not bargaining point and English do not have multi chokes so no point in mentioning it . As to not being an O/U thats good because its a side by side .

There are a lot of nice A&D non ejector guns that do not sell for what they are really worth .Not to get technical I would consider whether it was a Scott spindle lever or cam , type of safe work and forend catch . But if you like the gun buy it .

I've been in half a mind about buying an English SbS. I have stumbled Accross the above with 25inch barrels, have owned an AYA xxv in the past and appreciate the virtues of shoter barrels. The william ford looks to be a sleeper. Perfect bores perfect bluing and lovely wood. Tbc but looks to be a 1930's gun. I coukd pick it up for around the 400 mark. Woukd this sound like a reasonable price? The comb is a little low for a perfect fit but it's a lovely looking boxlock and I'm sure I coukd get it adjusted to fit me.

What do you chap's in the know think?

Have a read at Diggory Hadoke's book, Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot which will sweep any doubts from your mind on the desirability of owning a British made S xS.

Blackpowder

£400 is a reasonable price if the gun is in good overall condition . Barrel length is a choice not bargaining point and English do not have multi chokes so no point in mentioning it . As to not being an O/U thats good because its a side by side .

There are a lot of nice A&D non ejector guns that do not sell for what they are really worth .Not to get technical I would consider whether it was a Scott spindle lever or cam , type of safe work and forend catch . But if you like the gun buy it .

Probably because they're short barreled, non ejector, side by sides with fixed chokes. :whistling: