Ruger Precision Rifles

Woodlander

I've got one in 6.5C, very accurate rifle. There's a new "upgraded" version out now which I don't think is worth the extra £200, only thing I changed on mine was the hand grip to a softer Hogue "rubber" type.

Also don't get ripped off with the price of 6.5C brass, some are selling it for over £120/100, just get 100 decent 22-250 cases, run a 6.5C FLS die through them (to expand the neck) and they'll fire form perfectly first use.

Given the current £1200 price if I was doing it again I'd probably get another T3 in 260Rem and drop it into an MDT Chassis or similar.

If you're anywhere near Durham you're welcome to come have a look at it :good:

Edited by phaedra1106

Thanks for the information Phaedra,it does seem that for value for money and out of the box accuracy,the Tikkas are hard to beat.

Interesting that you would favour the .260 over the Creedmoor,may I ask the reason for that?

It's not the first time I've heard the .260 preferred over a 6.5. Thanks.

There all 6.5s.

The 6.5CM seems to becoming the en vogue cal this time.

This time next year it maybe the 7.25 dougy. Who knows.

I think that any 6.5 would be a good choice.

Pretty much as above, 6.5C, 6.5x47, 6.5x55 or 260Rem are all decent choices. The Ruger is great value if you happen to live in the USA :) if you def. want the tactical look then it's as good as anything else in the same price range here in the UK.

No particular reason for the 260 over the 6.5C just what's available off the shelf, the newer Tikka T3x is available in 6.5C (if you can find one) and will be as accurate at the Ruger and cheaper if not as "tacticool" and adjustable.

I'm happy with both my 6.5s, the Ruger at 5.9Kg is around 1Kg lighter than my Tikka but I have it in a fairly hefty MDT Tac21 chassis (those weights are with 8-32x56 and 10-50x60 Sightron scopes fitted), both are very accurate with (from what I've read/seen) the 6.5C having the edge at longer distances (800+).

Edited by phaedra1106

fister is right in that there is nothing in it between the 260 and 6.5cm however, op asked about the RPR.

for the money, entry level long range rifle, is good. out the box, slap a set of rings and a scope on, job done. the factory amax and eld-m loads will shoot sub MOA so all good in that department.

however, you need to think about reloading for them, as it will get rather expensive rather quick, why, because out the box, with the right scope, you can and will be shooting out past the 1000meters. its addictive, trust me ive been there lol.

for reloading you either buy the expensive carp cases or make your own. i dont like the 22-250 root as the case is to short and thins it, plus you can not control the neck thickness and can end up with thin one side and thicker the other, this leads to uneven neck tension, excessive neck working and early death to the cases. much better and more consistent necks going from a larger neck, like 308, and then doing the work to make a perfect case in 6.5. yes you have to trim OAL and the neck thickness but thats no great biggie, do it once, then fire form and then touch them up again. job done. each to their own on it but i personal would rather do the extra bit of work and cut down the groups. I love the small primer as well. with a magnum small primer your making sure that you get 100% powder burn in the right part of the barrel and not out the end of the barrel and burning fresh air. i have just binned the 50 i had as they are done with 15 firings each. im waiting for more palma 308 to come in so back using the large primer cases.

the PRP. out the box, at this moment in time, cant be beaten in the uk. it will change as soon as the others join the party but not for a little while.there are a few things hey are needed to be changed, the grip for one, it works but you can bolt better on, the bolt shroud Seeking came out with a metal one and now rugers new one does too. ruger also got rid of the Picatinny of the hand gaurg as it was a pain in the bum for rings and scopes. the whole rifle is very easy to personalize with many bolt on parts. i had one for a while then sold it and bought a tikka 25-06, sent it to neil mckillop and he did his work and i came back with a 6,5cm that shoots under 1/3MOA all day long. better when i can do my part. how much, about £500 more than the RPR

my old PRP i painted

P1030223_zpsyakigbc0.jpg

P1030214_zpsuzgs70he.jpg

My new tikka 6.5cm from Mckillop engineering

IMG_20160721_142811_zpsas76af2y.jpg

IMG_20160721_142747_zpshwzqvrac.jpg