Black Powder

Twistedsanity

I was looking at buying a black powder hammer gun recently but decided against it and spent more on a nitro proofed one.

It seemed a lot of messing about storing even more types of expensive cartridges and the additional cleaning required sounded like a lot of effort. It's meant to be very corrosive and need cleaning with hot water I believe, I'm sure others know far more about it. I did quite like the idea of some black powder game days I hear about but the chances of me actually finding one near me and going on it are slim.

If you fancy the full retro experience get yourself some of the 2.5" paper case shells such as Hull Three Crowns, Eley Grand Prix or Impax.

I've had great results with my Joseph Lang underlever hammer and the Grand Prix's :)

I was looking at buying a black powder hammer gun recently but decided against it and spent more on a nitro proofed one.

It seemed a lot of messing about storing even more types of expensive cartridges and the additional cleaning required sounded like a lot of effort. It's meant to be very corrosive and need cleaning with hot water I believe, I'm sure others know far more about it. I did quite like the idea of some black powder game days I hear about but the chances of me actually finding one near me and going on it are slim.

If you fancy the full retro experience get yourself some of the 2.5" paper case shells such as Hull Three Crowns, Eley Grand Prix or Impax.

I've had great results with my Joseph Lang underlever hammer and the Grand Prix's :)

One of these beauties maybe?.....http://micksguns.com/antique-muzzle-loading-long-guns/

Ha ha I think you'd have to drag your boat into the field to shoot from instead of a hide. Bet you'd get a few though!

Could have done with that the other day, I haven't been to one of my permissions recently and called round in the afternoon to see if the pigeons were around. Found 4 oak trees next to a rape field that looked like they still had leaves on but as I got close I realised they were covered in pigeons and they all lifted off together. Must have been 1000 pigeons there. Could have taken out a few hundred with that punt gun!

That's what I am going for next. For years and years I shot pigeon loads such as ,'Clear Pigeon' for all my pheasant shooting. Pointed in the right direction those 65mm No. 6 pigeon loads took out some pretty high pheasants at a reasonable price. Now it appears as if there are no manufacturers turning out a budget cartridge in 65mm so am forced to invest in ammunition with, 'Game Load' printed on it somewhere meaning in my cynical mind a automatic increase in price for a cartridge not necessarily any better than a ,'Pigeon Load'. Some years ago I shot blackpowder loads at pheasants. Great fun, clouds of pungent smoke and it had to be at least a day of breeze if you wanted to pick a target for the second barrel.

Blackpowder

This is a good price for the Hull Cartridges,,,if you are ever passing .

http://www.conistonshootingground.co.uk/product-category/cartridges/game-cartridges/

I bought some boxes of BP carts from Just Cartridges a few weeks ago, because I inherited a hammer gun that isn't proofed for Nitro. Have yet to shoot them tho! These were /expensive/ -- but nowhere near as bad as bismuth. £29 a box, still.

I love the idea of shooting an old gun with and old load (paper cased!) but clearly not a 'practical' gun !

Well I've been using my nitro proofed under lever hammer gun on my local syndicate shoot for a couple of months and everyone there loves it. Love the smell of the paper cartridges, though I could use anything in it really. I've been shooting really well with it though I must admit to missing a few birds because I haven't remembered to cock it in time or I've not managed to half cock it to open and reload in time for another shot. You can forget and leave the safety on on any gun though so I'm sure I'll improve once I get the order of doing things instinctively. It's all part of the charm though and it gives the birds even more of a sporting chance. It's effectively cylinder choke in both barrels but I've hit some long shots with it.

On Saturday I hit a great long and fairly high bird with it and the keeper said it was the shot of the day.

Late in the day one guy said to me he'd always fancied a hammer gun for the shore but they weren't the ideal gun for where we shoot... Turns out I'd shot twice as many as he had with his O/U.

Until now I've never really got on with a SxS but this one fits me just right and I think looking through the hammers is drawing my eye to the target more somehow - I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed.

Edited by ChrisPCarter