Reclaimed Shot Supplier Southern Uk

I got some a while back off the well known auction site but not sure where it came from - but thought I'd offer a small bit of advice;

Mine had some steel shot in it which scored a chrome lined bore very slightly (I believe it has something to do with rust being harder than chrome or abrasive enough to mark it) so I made a simple separator from a plastic funnel and three bar magnets set inside it leaving a gap that would be close enough to any of them to attract the steel. It worked but I decided not to bother with any more as the effort outweighed the small financial saving.

Just a thought, better to say than to hear you'd damaged an expensive gun finding out the hard way.

I've done some quick maths and it's just not worth making my own shot. Unless I can get lead for about 80p per kilo or less, current scrap price is approx £1.10 -£1.25. Linotype seems to be thin on the ground but what I have found is £2.40 per kilo. Even diluting that down by 4 or 5 with pure lead giving approx 2% antimony that is about £1.68 per kilo at the upper end before making the shot.

Even bulk buying doesn't really work out when buying at rate available to the small quantities I could buy. To get the cheaper discount on antimony I would need to make batch of 500kg shot.

Antimony comes in approx £25.5 + vat per kilo on orders over 10 kg, £306 for 10kg

Lead (assuming £1.2 per kilo) 490x1.2 = £588.

Total is £894 or £1.78 per kilo

All the above is excluding shipping costs for the metals, electricity costs etc.

I may have made a mistake in my maths so please correct if I have.

It is worth while sacrificing a day, driving the 400 mile round trip and picking up 300kg of reclaimed shot. That's enough to make 10,000+ cartridges. The alternative option is to then melt the reclaimed shot down and make larger/small shot that way and satisfy the shot making curiosity that way. Unless I can find a source of cheap scrap lead this is the route I would/will probably take.

Andy

Edited by arm3000gt

I never liked the reclaimed shot as it seemed full of lead oxide dust. I tried melting it down to remake it and found it made the worst shot ever until I mixed a large dose of linotype into the mix.

It's cheaper and more effective to spend £ on new ****.

Shot*

I've read posts from you two and I will take heed as you clearly have a lot of experience. I'll see how I get on with commercial shot and take it from there.

The post seems to have got a little side tracked, but I can guess from the lack of responses to the original question there are no reclaimed shot suppliers in the south of the UK.

Guest cookoff013

I've read posts from you two and I will take heed as you clearly have a lot of experience. I'll see how I get on with commercial shot and take it from there.

The post seems to have got a little side tracked, but I can guess from the lack of responses to the original question there are no reclaimed shot suppliers in the south of the UK.

My experience is just buying stuff and reloading. The time & £ in is not for me.

Have you not got any mates in the building trade to get it of my mates give me loads of lead i must have 10 hundred weight to make in the spring.linotype ok i have had to pay for that but will work out to nothing like you have worked out.

I don't have many mates in the building trade. Even so you are lucky they would give you hundreds of pounds worth of scrap metal. I'll keep looking and asking around though, never know what might come up.