BSA Meteor Problem Need Help!!

Skyliner

This is bit of a weird one.. I have a bsa Meteor not sure which model it is but it hasn't got the trigger safety catch if that helps.

when you cock the gun it feels smooth as if it was new, bring it up to target, pull the trigger and everything seems good but I open the barrell and the pellet is still there...... it has only moved about 5mm???

I have no idea how old the rifle is as it was given to me. The chap who I got it from has had it in storage for years and he had no idea it wasn't working.

The gun itself is in very good condition I have replaced the breech seal with a synthetic one I got from BSA as the original had pretty much disintegrated but looking over the gun it doesn't look like it has been used much at all.

Any help would be very appreciated

I'd hazard a guese and say that air is leaking past the piston, probably a seal gone.

Since this mechanism is under constant pressure from the spring (even when un-cocked), it's something that is best looked at by a gunsmith.

Ofcourse, I'm assuming that the pellets are OK and there's no blockage or infringement in the barrel.

Meteors are very easy to assemble/disassemble if you have a few basic tools. Try it yourself and do a home repair. If you don't have a spring compressor you can quite easily make one youself. If your not confident about it theres plenty of help on sites such as this.

Meteors are very easy to assemble/disassemble if you have a few basic tools. Try it yourself and do a home repair. If you don't have a spring compressor you can quite easily make one youself. If your not confident about it theres plenty of help on sites such as this.

the old meteors, had a leather piston seal and leather breach seal, years ago i was asked to look at one with symptoms like you have described on disasembly i found the piston head had became unscrewed and allthough it could be cocked and fired the gun was inefected refitting the piston head cured the problem.

Thankyou all for your help I've been using air rifles for years now but have never stripped one completely (never needed to :good: )

I think I will give it a go myself though so if any one can point me in the right direction for a good guide on stripping one of these right down.

berettaman1

this does sound a real possibility, does all the spring and piston head need to be dismantled to be able to repair this...

My grandads old Meteor suffered from that problem, although the pellets usually made it about 6 inches or so. It only happened with Milbro Caledonian pellets at first (tight maybe) but we took it to a smith and had all the seals done on it. Then it worked fine. It's not an expensive job, so if you're unsure I'd get it sorted by a pro. Most of the cost is parts, as the job is easy with the right kit and experience :good:

Skyliner, I rebuilt my Mk2 last year. If you have replced the breech seal then I would agree tha tthe fault is with the piston washer.

Dismantling the rifle is very easy but please make sure you take extreme care when removing the spring. It is best to use a spring compressor purpose made or home made.

Personally I would give airgunspares.com a browse and order a new piston washer, spacing washer, spring etc. ask to speak to John Knibbs, he used to work at BSA.

Anyway, make sure you soak the the Leather Piston Washer in Vegetable Oil over night before refitting it. This will help it to seal better and stop it drying out.

Again, when refitting the spring, be very careful. There is alot of tension in the spring and a great deal of force is need to compress it. Even just to get it fitted. If your not sure about this bit, take to a gunsmith to remove/re-fit.