Discovery 2 Headlight theft

JRDS

Some kind soul liberated mine on Wednesday night so I need to replace ASAP. Can anyone recommend any aftermarket fittings to stop the new set going the same way, talked to a breakers yard trying to get a pair and they told me one of their customers had theirs stolen 8 times before they eventually sold the vehicle!

Cheers gents will keep my eyes peeled for some guards, the only issue is mine seems to blow headlight bulbs often and you need to remove the unit to replace the bulb. However making that task more onerous is far preferable to losing the lights again!! :rolleyes:

Saw an Internet post on one of the Landrover Forums from a Policeman who had watched CCTV footage from a farmyard of a D2 Headlight theft, two of them from getting out of the car to getting back in with the lights 21 seconds.

I have the Jaw kit ready to fit when I get my car back hopefully it will deter, spoke to the guy there who said he wasn't aware of any thefts where his kit had been fitted.

If speed is off the essence for a thief I can see why it would work, it would take time with bolt croppers to remove or need them to get under the bonnet which would trip the alarm and the theft was outside my home.

Edited by JRDS

Am I missing the point. To remove the headlight you have three screw fixings. To get at the top fixings you need to open the bonnet which would activate the alarm?? Do they deactivate the alarm?

I have replaced my posidrive screws with stainless hex head screws due to corrosion in the past that might throw them?

The point that I was making is the people who steel things from cars do not care if an alarm goes off they just chuck a brick through the window grab what they want and run off alarms are going off all of the time who even bothers to look out of your window unless it goes on for quite a long time.

As for as your layered security it only works if it takes a long time to remove or take the item so the only way that your alarm would work is if you can secure the item so that it is very hard for them to remove it and as these people tend to like simple quick things they would just as lightly not bother to steel it.

My thoughts for what they are worth but then I loath bloody alarms if you must have them then they should switch off after a short time if you cannot protect your own things then why should the rest of us have to put up with bloody alarms screaming for hours sometimes.

As I said I didn't expect you to understand!!!!!

If you took the time and looked at the suggestion I made it would be obvious why an alarm would help!!!! This is why I stated the type I have, again if you had bothered to read it properly all would become clear!!

Edited by R1nut