Testing beam balance against electric scales

What are your conclusions from that?

Good quality beam balance scales are accurate enough to load within 0.04g if setup correctly. Reducing parallax and magnifying with a tablet or camera/screen combo aids the precision of the scale reading.

Actually, within the sort of parameters we are likely to be dealing with, it doesn't matter if they are accurate so much as it does being consistent.

I completely agree. It was the consistency I was exploring hence the 20 charges measured.

Edited by Si-Bore

Not bad from a fairly basic scale that must be more than 20 years old. (grey) Once you get down to the .02 grain area you are getting to the stage where it dosen't matter how much you pay for scales unless you're going to think about cutting kernels in half.

Good test.

Another user of 20 yr old-plus RCBS (10-10) scales here. They're as accurate as any reloader could ever need. If people could read the wind better, they'd do more for their shooting precision than worrying over a few points of a grain when loading, but as with all things reloading, it's all about removing as many variables as possible and a good set of beam scales will do this very adequately. Nice test. Personally, I think that correlating MV SD with these tests might me more telling. I've always been of the mind that neck tension consistency is more important than tenths of a grain, and for that matter, what primers are used. Laurie Holland did an interesting scientific comparison of primers a while back showing just how much they affect consistency (check out UKV for details).